Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Werrock

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by Werrock »

Strange, I try them in the same emulator (fceux-2.2.2-win32):

With mapper 79: http://postimg.org/image/ufp7bag57/
With mapper 113: http://postimg.org/image/j4mjmx9a3/
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

... Weird, it works for me in Nestopia and Nintedulator. And not in FCEU-0.98 nor FCEUX-2.2.1. ... and when I did deeper, FCEU/FCEUX is pretty clearly explicitly presenting the wrong bank (1) when the bankswitch is requested (to 0).

Oh. The answer is that FCEUX's implementation of NINA-03/06 is explicitly wrong (i.e. it pretends that mapper 79 is both NINA-03/06 AS WELL AS mapper 148), and this game is explicitly designed to work on both NINA-06 or a Color Dreams board (it writes $0E to $4120, but it writes $6D to $8014) and so it confuses that over-enthusiastic compatibility code.

Also, it's weird that the 32 KiB of CHR ROM there evidently contains only 16 KiB of tile data.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Has anyone ever dumped Nanjing or Waixing games?

I have an undumped game called Ye Ming Zhu [Night Pearl].
It seems to have PRG ROM (MBM29DL163BE70PFTN) and CHR RAM (BS62LV2000STC) only.

I assume it's another mapper 163 but not too sure.

Here's pictures of the PCB:
Attachments
IMG_8224.JPG
IMG_8220.JPG
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

First step is usually trying to dump the game as though it were NROM and see what the game is doing. Our current best documentation of what mapper 163 is is basically just what's in FCEUX's source.

Waixing released many different hardwares, so it's hard to extrapolate what's going on just by knowing the distributor.
HardWareMan

Post by HardWareMan »

Ice Man wrote:Has anyone ever dumped Nanjing or Waixing games?

I have an undumped game called Ye Ming Zhu [Night Pearl].
It seems to have PRG ROM (MBM29DL163BE70PFTN) and CHR RAM (BS62LV2000STC) only.

I assume it's another mapper 163 but not too sure.

Here's pictures of the PCB:
I have a CoolBoy cartridge with same "UNION131" PCB.
darthvedder

Re:

Post by darthvedder »

OldNESJunkie wrote:Well, I've been busy dumping my collection with the Kazzo, but looks like I'm gonna have to learn about the NES memory map to write my own scripts for dumping some, any pointers on where to start ? I have found a couple of games I couldn't get to dump, only 2 so far, some I had to remove the PC board from the cart to get a good dump due to the weird way the board was. The only 2 I have had no luck with so far are A Boy & His Blob and Bases Loaded 2 with the included dumping scripts, I've dumped about 142 games so far out of the 702 I have.....
Has anybody been able to dump A Boy And His Blob with the kazzo? I've tried the mmc1_skrom.ag script with the GUI and the mmc1_slrom.ad script with the command line and I keep getting different (and wrong) crc32s every time. The contacts are clean, as the cart starts up fine when I put it in my NES.
bootsector

Post by bootsector »

TotoTek has a SNES dumper which uses a modified SMS cart slot:

http://www.tototek.com/store/images/SNE ... ash_01.jpg

SMS slot used in the mod:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... ucts_id=78

Is the pitch of the SNES connector used on Kazzo USB dumper different from the slot above from TotoTek?

I'm willing to purchase a complete set (having only the SNES slot unsoldered). Does shipping to Brazil include a tracking code?

Thanks!
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Did anyone have any luck building a functional UNROM cart for Kazzo?? I've followed this tutorial:
https://osdn.net/projects/unagi/wiki/flash_74161_en

And here's the thing- I think this is kind of wrong since the console doesn't read the cartridge at all but it reads correctly if I connect /WE #31 pin of the flash chip to +5V, so I temporarily made a switch for that. While my Kazzo can program my MMC1 cart just fine (well, after many attemps actually since it stopped at some random address all the time), the Kazzo doesn't even try to program my UNROM cart. It ALWAYS hangs on one specific address and interrupts the programming sequence... Any ideas what I should do?? Please for reply and advices. Many thanks in advance!!
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

If you run my current build of the firmware and using a SST 39SF0x0 flash chip, you'll be able to flash a UNROM board if you wire it up to the UNROM-512 spec with a '139.

Another option would be to make use of EXP0 like I do for majority of my UNROM boards. PRG-ROM /WE pin is tied to EXP0 with a pull-up to Vcc. /OE is connected to /ROMSEL, and /CE is grounded. Should also work with my current firmware build when using 39SF0x0.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

So, can you provide me any instructions kinda for dummies explaining how to build that cart?? Also, I didn't mention my cart is a Famicom one so I'm afraid I can't use any expansion pins on that
infiniteneslives

If you're using famicom you'll prob want to go with the UNROM-512 interface that'll work with just 60pins. The wiki shows the schematic, can't explain it much better than that.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Damn it, the cart would need a total reconstruction as it almost isn't an UNROM board anymore, I think it needs a new redesigned board for this purpose... Is there any easier solution for that while it only handles up to 256KB PRG??
infiniteneslives

You could use my EXP0 suggestion, but you'd have to use an "external" wire jumper to go from the atmega to the prg-rom /WE pin due to having 60pin restriction.
gaminginabox

Post by gaminginabox »

I just picked up a PowerJoy PJ-008 for cheap at a local Goodwill, and decided to try dumping it using Kazzo. Unfortunately, I'm no good at writing scripts for Kazzo in order to dump something like this.

I thought I could just find a ROM of PJ-008 on the Internet and download it and call it a day. After searching for a long while (seems like it's very rarely dumped/shared?) I finally found the ROM in GoodNES set and tried it out in the emulator, only to discover that the game list in that ROM is quite different from the game list on this cartridge, so I'm back to square one.

I'm going to resume trying to dump the cartridge - but in order to do that, I'll need to learn how to write a script for this particular cartridge. Is it possible for me to get a tutorial on how to write a script? I would like to learn so I won't have to ask for help every time I come across another "strange" cartridges. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Here's what I know about this cartridge - it's a mapper 126 cartridge, PRG is 2048kb, CHR is 1024kb.

Thank you, everybody!
prototector

Post by prototector »

So my suspicion arose with the Kazzo with a recent attempt at a ROM dump.

I have a prototype game (MMC3) that I dumped, which only appeared to differ from the retail by one byte at a specific position in the header (booooo!). I found it peculiar because someone else dumped a different prototype copy of the same game last year and theirs showed the EXACT SAME single difference (location and value). One might assume both prototype copies have the same build, hence the same difference, and leave it at that. Except I decided to test this further.

I dumped one of my retail carts, Blades of Steel (unrom), and compared it to the publicly available download of it, which is supposed to be verified. Lo and behold, my Kazzo ROM dump differs by 1 byte from the download, at the exact same header location the prototype of the other game differs from its retail version.

More than that, the difference in hex value of the 2 games dumped by the Kazzo compared to the downloadable ones are the exact same. ie:

Hex value at position 06 of prototype of MMC3 game: 42
Hex value at position 06 of downloaded retail version of MMC3 game: 40

Hex value at position 06 of my Kazzo dump of Blades of Steel UNROM game: 23
Hex value at position 06 of downloaded retail version of the same: 21

So you see, it looks like the Kazzo is doing something weird where it dumps them with a hex value at 06 that is 2 higher than what it should be. Because of that, I think that my prototype (and the copy from the other guy) is actually 100% byte-wise identical to retail and it's just the Kazzo that dumped it this way.

What's the reason for this?