Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based system

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Re: Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based sy

Post by tokumaru »

My main gripe with Linux (I used Ubuntu for a while) is that a simple OS update completely bricked my computer. "Do you want to install updates?", "Yes", Bam, computer doesn't boot anymore. And before that, for no apparent reason, it stopped mounting USB drives automatically. I don't know enough about Linux to debug and fix these problems, and I can't go re-installing the OS every few weeks when it pulls one of these on me. It felt very unstable to me.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote:My main gripe with Linux (I used Ubuntu for a while) is that a simple OS update completely bricked my computer. "Do you want to install updates?", "Yes", Bam, computer doesn't boot anymore.
This is a problem with UBUNTU indeed, I and other people experimented the same as you! But not with Linux! Fedora's package manager Yum is even worse, but all the others are much better than apt. Also I belive this problem with apt has been fixed 4-5 years ago so it should be fixed today (although I do not remember the details - I'll let you use google for more info about the ubuntu update bugs).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@3gengames

I have interest in arch because of it's philosophy of total control and that's a Canadian's distribution but with my limited time... I guess I will start with something simpler. Hope I can configure it properly someday.

@Bregalad

Everything you install doesn't always have a shortut in the GUI so if you don't know the name of the app, it's make it quite hard to figure it out. If you know the name, you could always use "which appName" to know where it's located.

As for apps, if I can figure out how to use my tools for nesdev, I will be more than happy to share at a later stage.

@Tepples

Tepples to the rescue for specific information about the hiearchy of the file system ;) I learned a lot!

@Pubby

I didn't know about MTPaint, thanks!

@Tokumaru

Same experience here. In the past, I always wanted to try all windows manager and as much package as possible: bad idea! in 90% of the time, the installer fail when you select too many packages (must be some dependencies issues). These days with the live CD with limited packages and no custom selection, the installer fails less.

@All

Keeps it up! Any info about the best tools for nesdev under linux is always appreciated. That will make an interesting thread. Maybe we should put the best tool per OS in the wiki. Windows I know but for Linux/OSX, not yet.

For now, I think I will experiment with one BSD partition (somehow I like it, don't know why) and another one with fedora XFCE. I will install wine for Nintendulator and Famitracker and see how it goes.

These days I speaks in Japanese only so it feels strange to write in english! I'm losing my english ;) My grammar must suck big time!
Myask

Post by Myask »

Banshaku wrote:These days I speaks in Japanese only so it feels strange to write in english! I'm losing my english ;) My grammar must suck big time!
そうですか。
Banshaku wrote:These days I speaks in Japanese only so it feels strange to write in English! I'm losing my English ;) My grammar must suck big time!

it's makes it

Not everything you install doesn't always has
ちょっとだけ。^_~ でも、あたしの日本語はちょっと…

Mednafen also works for debugging, though it's more built for one-window/fullscreen use, is more keyboard-oriented than mouse, and requires increasing the view multiplier in the config to at least 3. Tepples's monitor wasn't big enough.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

tokumaru wrote:My main gripe with Linux (I used Ubuntu for a while) is that a simple OS update completely bricked my computer. "Do you want to install updates?", "Yes", Bam, computer doesn't boot anymore. And before that, for no apparent reason, it stopped mounting USB drives automatically. I don't know enough about Linux to debug and fix these problems, and I can't go re-installing the OS every few weeks when it pulls one of these on me. It felt very unstable to me.
IMHO Ubuntu is a terrible distro, for precisely this reason. It's not a problem inherent to Linux; Canonical just doesn't give a shit.

I can't speak for many other distros, but Debian stable is precisely what it says on the tin: stable. Not exactly user-friendly if you're not familiar with Linux though.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

The store where I purchased this computer preinstalled OEM Ubuntu and said not to upgrade; now I know why. Nevertheless the current version works for me (once I changed most of the packages and other things).
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Myask

Post by Myask »

...I use Ubuntu...
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

in 90% of the time, the installer fail when you select too many packages (must be some dependencies issues)
This is not an excuse. The package installer is supposed to do its job properly, no matter if the user told it to install "many" of "few" packages. Especially considering those words have no precise meaning for a computer.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

For some reason I don't like Ubuntu and maybe I was right about it :lol:

@Myask

I'm French native but I never was good at grammar: not able to remember it! As for English I learned by mostly by reading and talking, which means I have no idea about the grammar, I just try to reproduce what I remember。 日本語はどうでしょう!仕事するながら「何となく」勉強をなりました。日本語でも文法はあまり上手ではないので、申し訳ありませんですが、日本語の勉強関係はサポート出来なさそうと思いますw

@Bregalad

I totally agree with you, an installer should not fail in any case. This was one big turn off while trying to install linux in the past. It seems to be more stable right now, if they don't have much package to install at the same time!..
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I had issues with package manager too, but by selecting the packages in the correct order (including specific versions if needed) and then using the interactive conflict resolution if needed, you can get it to work correctly. (For some reason, what is selected by default is often stupid, but it can be overridden with correct operations without too much difficulty.)
Myask

Post by Myask »

Banshaku wrote:@Myask

I'm French native but I never was good at grammar: not able to remember it! As for English I learned by mostly by reading and talking, which means I have no idea about the grammar, I just try to reproduce what I remember。 日本語はどうでしょう!仕事するながら「何となく」勉強をなりました。日本語でも文法はあまり上手ではないので、申し訳ありませんですが、日本語の勉強関係はサポート出来なさそうと思いますw
Ouais? Je me débrouille. English is native; Japanese, German, French are learned.
「出来なさそう」を分かりません。

That leads me to a relevant consideration: the IME.
(a half hour later)
Don't see any problems with the intersection of alternate keyboard layouts and the Japanese IME, and I found out how to turn this Windows key into Compose instead, much more useful for French and German.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

zzo38 wrote:I had issues with package manager too, but by selecting the packages in the correct order (including specific versions if needed) and then using the interactive conflict resolution if needed, you can get it to work correctly. (For some reason, what is selected by default is often stupid, but it can be overridden with correct operations without too much difficulty.)
My personal opinion is that if you need to resolve conflicts every time you install a program, well, the package manager failed at its job ;) A package manager should be a software that allows me to install programs without having to worry about conflicts since this is the reason I use the tool in the first place.

Maybe this is a Linux thing were "conflicts are common and everyone knows about it, you didn't know?" that I'm not aware of.
Myask wrote: Ouais? Je me débrouille. English is native; Japanese, German, French are learned.
「出来なさそう」を分かりません。
J'utilise mon français une fois par semaine alors je vers le perdre d'ici peu! It's interesting to know multiple languages, the problem is to find the time to improve those skills.

出来 , to be able (dekiru)
なさそう unlikely , doubt
Means I think it's unlikely or don't believe that I will be able to do, related to the previous thing mentioned

食べなさそう I don't think I will be able to eat that

Maybe this website would give you plenty of example :
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E3%81%AA ... %86&ref=sa

It gives a list of example of なさそう. It's a site a like to use from time to time when searching some phrase example.

Ok, Japanese was off-topic, before the fairies start to split we will continue to talk about linux :lol:
Myask

Post by Myask »

Banshaku wrote:出来 , to be able (dekiru)
なさそう unlikely , doubt
Means I think it's unlikely or don't believe that I will be able to do, related to the previous thing mentioned

食べなさそう I don't think I will be able to eat that

Maybe this website would give you plenty of example :
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%E3%81%AA ... %86&ref=sa

It gives a list of example of なさそう. It's a site a like to use from time to time when searching some phrase example.

Ok, Japanese was off-topic, before the fairies start to split we will continue to talk about linux :lol:
I had not seen any places it's used directly as a verb suffix/ending, so I was uncertain. I tend to use jisho.org.

I haven't had any package-manager problems, myself.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Myask

After asking my wife I may not have used it properly ^_^;; It seems that you are not supposed to write that way when referring to youself, thus my lack of grammar is showing again. She said she understood the meaning but I should have used 出来ない instead. I learned on the job so I don't know about those small nuances.

back on topic, with older versions of linux, I always had issues if I chose too many packages. I guess I was just not lucky then.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Banshaku wrote:Maybe this is a Linux thing were "conflicts are common and everyone knows about it, you didn't know?" that I'm not aware of.
At least in Aptitude anyways. However, in most cases (according to what I actually use) software can install fine with no conflicts, from my experience. In some cases there are conflicts though and they must be resolved manually (there is an automatic resolver but in my experience it doesn't work).