Vigilante [port SMS]

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Diskover

Vigilante [port SMS]

Post by Diskover »

I remember small, under the building where he lived was a bar that had the arcade machine Vigilante Irem company. I left enough money in this game. Years later, when I finally had a NES I started buying magazines in video games and I could see the analysis that made the Vigilante video game Sega Master System.
I was very angry that did not exist a version of the NES Vigilante, so good ... why not do it yourself?

With what little I've learned in cc65, I could recreate some level 1 of this game, based on the version of SMS.

What do you think?

Image Image Image Image

Rom demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/319 ... emo%29.nes
na_th_an

Re: Vigilante [port SMS]

Post by na_th_an »

It look gorgeous. Awesome graphics.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Looks great. I love that game. Can't wait to see the result!

edit:

Tested it on Nintendulator and it doesn't work. You should check your code since it may be an indication that it will not work on the real thing.
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

Banshaku wrote:Looks great. I love that game. Can't wait to see the result!

edit:

Tested it on Nintendulator and it doesn't work. You should check your code since it may be an indication that it will not work on the real thing.
In a real NES if it works

darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

It freezes also on my EverDrive in my NES Toploader.

Is there perhaps a reason that the ROM is currently PAL exclusive?

The first background displays, but I also get two garbage tiles in the status bar. No buttons do anything.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Diskover wrote:In a real NES if it works
Are you using a PowerPak or an EverDrive? Those cartridges tend to hide initialization issues that games might have, because they initialize the system before transferring control to the game.

As for the game itself, I never really played on the SMS, but your graphics look pretty good. Will give the ROM a try when I can.
Last edited by tokumaru on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

In Nintendulator DX, there's no missing initialization, but it does spin forever on a sprite 0 hit that doesn't happen.
thefox

Post by thefox »

It's doing OAM DMA outside vblank, with rendering enabled. (Based on NDX, starts at scanline 260, ends at scanline 3.) Write that enables rendering ($2001 <= $1E) at $C552, earlier on the same scanline 260.

EDIT: I'm guessing that on real hardware the sprite 0 ends up surviving that, but on Nintendulator the corruption behaves somewhat differently, overwriting sprite 0.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

darryl.revok wrote:It freezes also on my EverDrive in my NES Toploader.

Is there perhaps a reason that the ROM is currently PAL exclusive?

The first background displays, but I also get two garbage tiles in the status bar. No buttons do anything.
tokumaru wrote:
Diskover wrote:In a real NES if it works
Are you using a PowerPak or an EverDrive? Those cartridges tend to hide initialization issues that games might have, because they initialize the system before transferring control to the game.

As for the game itself, I never really played on the SMS, but your graphics look pretty good. Will give the ROM a try when I can.
thefox wrote:It's doing OAM DMA outside vblank, with rendering enabled. (Based on NDX, starts at scanline 260, ends at scanline 3.) Write that enables rendering ($2001 <= $1E) at $C552, earlier on the same scanline 260.

EDIT: I'm guessing that on real hardware the sprite 0 ends up surviving that, but on Nintendulator the corruption behaves somewhat differently, overwriting sprite 0.
How weird. I am using a Chinese version to try and not give me any errors :?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It looks like the Jack DIY NES flashcart is an EverDrive N8 clone... so maybe there's a difference if the console instead?
thefox

Post by thefox »

It's a bug in your program. The fact that it happens to work on hardware doesn't mean that your program is well-behaved.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

thefox wrote:It's a bug in your program. The fact that it happens to work on hardware doesn't mean that your program is well-behaved.
Okay. I intend to pass it to a UNROM (for I stay out of space) and change various things, to see if it clears.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

From what I understand of your comments, the sprite DMA is spilling outside of vblank on NTSC, but not on PAL, which has a longer vblank, so maybe the game's working only on PAL machines (or emulators in PAL mode).

But that still conflicts with the fact that OAM DMA should happen during the first 20 scanlines of vblank on PAL consoles, so maybe even on PAL this isn't exactly stable.
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

tokumaru wrote:From what I understand of your comments, the sprite DMA is spilling outside of vblank on NTSC, but not on PAL, which has a longer vblank, so maybe the game's working only on PAL machines (or emulators in PAL mode).

But that still conflicts with the fact that OAM DMA should happen during the first 20 scanlines of vblank on PAL consoles, so maybe even on PAL this isn't exactly stable.
I have no idea, it can be.

Testing with VirtuaNES or FCEU works without problem, in both NTSC and PAL. :?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Do not trust VirtuaNES nor FCEU for accuracy. (I prefer Nintendulator for accuracy).

Maybe put sprite DMA earlier in your list of to-do's during v-blank.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES