Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based system

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Re: Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based sy

Post by Banshaku »

A lot of interesting topics, for now I will stick with x11.

On another subject, my pc is almost configured but one issue I have compared to when I tested freebsd is to install app with all their dependencies.

For example, if my memory is good, I could install nestopia from the Command line package manager and all dependencies were installed. They have quite a lot of app in their repository. On fedora, on the other hand, even after adding rpmfusion repository (still don't know if it should be trusted or not) installing apps is an hit or miss proccess with dnf. If some depencies are missing.. Good luck finding the name of the package to install it!

I found the rpm for nestopiaua(?) but cannot install because of missing depencies. Tried compiling it but now I need all the sdk with whatever depencies they have.

How do you manage to find missing depencies on linux? It seems more hellish than freebsd.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I don't like Wayland; I prefer X11, although there is a lot of junk and extensions added now. X has good stuff built-in for fonts, and Xaw work well for GUI, but many programs won't use that and instead use anti-aliased and Windows-like stuff that is no good. X core fonts is better.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Banshaku wrote:fedora
[...]
How do you manage to find missing depencies on linux?
Unfortunately, most of us here seem to be in the world of debian derivatives (apt, deb) instead of red hat derivatives (yum, rpm). So I don't know how to help you.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I see. Does it means that Debian based distributions are easier to manage than red hat ones? I installed fedora out of habit but I don't have any preference per se. I can still reinstall another distribution over the current one.
calima

Post by calima »

Fedora has ethical issues with emulators, leading to problems like yours. A more user-focused distro like Ubuntu or Mint may be better.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I'm pretty sure Debian has a kitchen sink somewhere in its repository. Nestopia, FCEUX, mednafen and xa65 are just an apt-get away.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

calima wrote:Fedora has ethical issues with emulators, leading to problems like yours. A more user-focused distro like Ubuntu or Mint may be better.
I was not aware about that one. No! I almost finished my fedora partition :lol:

Where can I find about those ethical issue/philosophy about specific distribution? I want to stop using windows because I'm getting tired of the way they are doing things with windows 8+ (telemetry, ads, in latest insiders automatically creating a Skype account without asking etc) but I don't want to get in another problematic distro again.

For some reason I don't like Ubuntu but have no issue with Debian. I guess I may try again Debian again soon then or continue my Freebsd partition. I like freebsd but for a beginner.. It's a little bit hard to know what you need to install since you need to do almost everything. It's almost working (except for a few software) but I have no idea what I may have forgot for a basic installation (like firewall etc.).

Good thing I'm still not using it much yet.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I don't know of any centralized source of difference in philosophy between the two. Both projects rely on what are essentially the Debian Free Software Guidelines. (Fedora uses a slightly reworded version called the Open Source Definition that's substantially the same.) One difference is that Fedora excludes software subject to a U.S. patent, and it's more likely to exclude software what Debian calls its contrib component (software with a non-free dependency).

In theory, Fedora allows emulators that aren't bundled with non-free game ROMs. But Fedora has excluded emulators of Nintendo platforms because Red Hat feared the cost of having to defend a lawsuit from Nintendo, especially when the set of non-infringing ROMs wasn't viewed as substantial. (Source: explanation by Tom "spot" Calloway, Fedora Engineering Manager at Red Hat, on Fedora's legal mailing list in November 2010, part 1 and part 2) On May 3, 2016, Fedora expanded the wording of its policy on emulators. (Source: wiki diff by spot) The effect of this more detailed wording on the permissibility of emulators of Nintendo platforms is unclear to me.

How hard would it be to write an emulator that only takes source code as input, not ROM images, using a mechanism similar to that of LibreJS to ensure that all code is under a free software license? Even then, Fedora might still reject it because of the possibility that someone might apply a false copyright notice to, say, SMBDis.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:someone might apply a false copyright notice to, say, SMBDis.
What do you mean "false"? A complete SMB disassembly is clearly a copyright violation.
tepples

Post by tepples »

LibreJS decides whether or not to allow a script to run based on the contents of the script's copyright notice. A copyright notice applied to an infringing script to get it past LibreJS would be a false copyright notice.

Likewise, LibreJS-like logic in a hypothetical emulator that runs only source code decides whether or not to allow an assembly language program to run based on the contents of the program's copyright notice. A copyright notice applied to an infringing program to get it past LibreJS-like logic would be a false copyright notice.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Tried to install Debian latest version, non live one, and like always for distribution that are on dvd (maybe I 'm not lucky but that happened too many times) after more than 40 minutes the installation failed and was left with a non operational system... No error, just that something failed. I hate that part. Maybe I will try again with the live image only.

People have issues in general when installing Debian 3 dvd version?
Sik

Post by Sik »

Dunno about Debian. With Ubuntu when installing using the live CD you're left with a working installation (assuming your drive is working properly, many old drives don't >_>), but it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The minimal installer, though? (the one that runs from text mode and downloads everything) That one works really well. I have no idea why there's such a big difference between those two.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Banshaku wrote:Tried to install Debian latest version, non live one, and like always for distribution that are on dvd (maybe I 'm not lucky but that happened too many times) after more than 40 minutes the installation failed and was left with a non operational system... No error, just that something failed. I hate that part. Maybe I will try again with the live image only.

People have issues in general when installing Debian 3 dvd version?
I have always gone with the Debian Testing netinstall. In a typical use case, I do not see much benefit to downloading a DVD image containing every package that you might use over grabbing them as-needed during install.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

The reason I 'm not using such a lite distribution is because of my internet is a dongle that doesn't work in linux (yet or don't know how). I need to use another computer for sharing but the other issue is the speed, which is quite slow. The more package at the beginning or as a repository to install, the more convenient it is.

Tried Debian live image but had issues with grub after... There must be something that debian doesn't like on my computer somehow :lol: the fedora live, in less than 20 minutes I can have a basic workstation up and running.

I want to try Debian since it seems more convenient for emulators (don't have much time to figure out how to compile them these days). At the least, even though it's taking time to configure it, I feel this time I will have something that work. I learned a lot so it's not such a bad thing.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Banshaku wrote:The reason I 'm not using such a lite distribution is because of my internet is a dongle that doesn't work in linux (yet or don't know how).
You mean a USB mobile broadband dongle? NetworkManager has a fancy GUI for them, or if you're oldschool like me you can even use pppconfig.