Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based system

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Rahsennor

Re: Possible compromise(s) when switching to a *nix based sy

Post by Rahsennor »

Banshaku wrote:Since I tried to install a vanilla Debian and failed (normal DVD fail to install and live version grub doesn't work for some reason) and couldn't find how to install pppconfig on Fedora (not that I searched much), the fact that Xubuntu works will be another compromise until I figure out how to install something better. But the good side of things is I can use almost Linux the way I used windows so I'm very close to a 100% switch.
How new is your machine? I vaguely remember something about the EFI on modern PCs making Linux hard to boot, maybe Ubuntu handles it and Debian doesn't? I don't know, I specifically hunted down an older model when I bought my current laptop.
Banshaku wrote:How much do you know about pppconfig? My guess is this is just a wizard that create a script for you? I need to figure out about that and try to find info on the subject. Does pon poff parts of pppconfig?
Yeah, it's just a wizard to do the hard work for you. Pretty sure it writes to /etc/ppp/peers/, /etc/chatscripts/ aaaaand probably somewhere else for authentication stuff but it's been a while since I've stuck my nose in there. man pppconfig should get you started.

pon and poff are seperate tools, which control pppd, the daemon that actually manages the modem, and in turn runs a bunch of other programs, like chat. In typical Unix fashion, there's a command for everything.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Sik

Oh, the unicode mapping. Well, I was just happy to find a font that was dos like so I didn't check the impact of using it yet :lol:

@Rahsennor

My computer is more than 8 years old so it's not efi related. It could be there was a partion on it already and it didn't like it. I will figure it out someday once I find the time.

As for pppconfig, I found the scripts were you mentioned. I will check the man pages for pon/poff. I just hope I can reuse those scripts on another distribution if required.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Banshaku wrote:@Sik

Oh, the unicode mapping. Well, I was just happy to find a font that was dos like so I didn't check the impact of using it yet :lol:
Well, if you don't mind the fact it's not pixelated, Nouveau IBM doesn't suffer from that problem:
http://i.imgur.com/jIZEj9w.png

Font size 12px should be closest (as in pixel-level close) to the actual text mode font, though if you want the text to look larger it'll definitely look better than Perfect DOS VGA (or its variants).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Sik

I did a quick test at work and it look almost the same except the height of the font seems a little bit different. By height is doesn't seems to be the font per se but more some extra space on top and bottom. Except for a few small difference it the font, it's look good.

To make it look good I use it at size 16. Look quite nice that way. The DOS font was saying to use it in multiple of 8 so I tried it mostly at 8 (too small) or 16.

Thank again for the font.

Last setting, Japanese IME. Worked fine when tested in VM but fail at home :lol: Debugging time!

Edit:

Figured it out. It was not like it was explained on the website but it works (somehow!). Now some emulators and that's it. Pretty much everything is working.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Was it the difference between pixels (nominally 1/96 inch) and points (defined as 1/72 inch)? If you had to set it at 12 points to get 16 pixels, that was probably the case.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

On the EUFI, Linus Torvalds said "Fuck you." to the whole system, as he should. It exists only for Microsoft. It will be guaranteed that Linux will never have any UEFI official firmware, key, anything. It offers no more security than any current method before it. But that doesn't mean the distro's can ship their own signed UEFI firmwares and whatnot, which they do. But Linux it's self will never, ever really have official support for it.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Sik, @Tepples

Regarding Nouveau IBM, I had the chance to test it at home on my linux partition and it's working fine, not stretched at all. For some reason it doesn't react the same on a Mac.

Wine is quite useful and I like it, some basic tools works better than I expected under linux. The only thing left is to remove the anti-aliasing of fonts since I want the fonts to look like windows 2000 without the blur. For normal linux apps I don't mind. There must be a setting for that and I will figure it out soon.

With the VM for a few exception I don't need to boot in windows.

Thank you windows 10, your arrogant push in the insider preview gave me the motivation to switch. I will always be grateful! :lol:
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If you can specify the font using an XLFD (such as -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1), you can get the font without anti-aliasing. (If you don't have that option, consider using something other than xfce's Terminal; I happen to like rxvt-unicode.)

Otherwise, it's using Freetype and getting a mix of antialiased and aliased fonts will be tricky, if it's even doable at all...
tepples

Post by tepples »

To turn off AA system-wide in Xfce, open Start > Settings > Appearance > Fonts > Rendering and turn off "Enable anti-aliasing".

("Start" refers to the Applications Menu or Whisker Menu. I'd paste the symbol for these menus but for outdated MySQL.)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Tepples

Thank you for the information. I knew about that setting, I just want to remove inside wine only. I tried to remove system wide once and it looks awful :lol: so my goal for now is wine only. I found some registry entry to disable it but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I had to restart wine or something, don't know yet. I will check again tonight.

Edit:
I checked this morning at the office and the wine version that I use on Mac doesn't use any antialiasing by default. The fonts looks clear. Either it is something different with the linux version or the version I use on mac (winebottler I think) disable it by default. The good news is there must be a way to dit on linux too without disabling the windows manager settings.

Edit2:

Tried all kind of settings inside a vm and it doesn't seems possible to separate both like on mac. So I disabled antialiasing and set a different font for xfce and now it's looks like win2k. Some apps like web browsers seems to override that setting so they stay aliased. But... Now the fonts looks good.

Edit3:

I found a way by adding .fonts.conf inside your home folder you can override the aliasing. So my main account for coding will be very win2k inspired and I will just set another one for when not necessary. My quest is over, I have a working machine. With the Tahoma font, you wouldn't know it's linux until you look at thundar or the taskbar :lol: That was great learning experience. Now it's time to stop writing in this thread and check how to get back to programming.. I don't remember much.
Attachments
no_aliasing.png