Ads when logged out?

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Bavi_H

Ads when logged out?

Post by Bavi_H »

Is there supposed to be an ad at the bottom of forum pages when you aren't logged in? I don't remember seeing an ad there before, but I don't often look at that spot while logged out.
WhoaMan

Re: Ads when logged out?

Post by WhoaMan »

I'm testing to see how it does, I figure it won't bother most visitors here since it only shows when logged out.

I'm trying to come up with funding for a new server and some other improvements for the site (ssl, better vhosting for those in need, etc). While I can cover co-location fees myself, I havent had much extra to keep things updated.

If the ads end up staying, they will only be on the forums for users not logged in. The only change might be that they move up.
i dont have much to say
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Who even funds the servers for this website?
WhoaMan wrote:The only change might be that they move up.
Can you potentially get more money if the ad is "displayed better"? I thought the only way to measure how they pay you is by measuring the traffic on the website.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

WhoaMan owns/maintains the server.
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

I supplied the server and have been paying to co-locate it for the past couple of years.

as far as the ad placement goes, google uses a combination of views and clicks so better placement does help.
i dont have much to say
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Man, some of the advertisements are really huge. Pretty sure most people here have jobs and would love to donate to costs. Many of us don't like to be logged in unless we are contributing either.

On top of that most of us are probably blocking advertisements. Not sure if you're really going to be getting the revenue you want this way.

Let us know how we can help you.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That and the ads seem to be "interest-based", meaning they rely on tracking the user from one site to another. "Interest-based ads" are how you might end up with ads for Precious Moments figurines on a tech blog/forum like Slashdot. If I enable Tracking Protection in Firefox, the ads don't appear.

Are there enough developers selling homebrew games on cartridge to justify selling ad space directly to these developers?
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:Are there enough developers selling homebrew games on cartridge to justify selling ad space directly to these developers?
I have no idea if there's any money to be made on this, but I'd actually LIKE to see ads of that sort.
Last edited by gauauu on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myask

Post by Myask »

I know there's a thread over on NA with "currently-sold homebrew games"; I'm not sure how well they keep it up.