Hey Dwedit...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Wii_Biiz

Hey Dwedit...

Post by Wii_Biiz »

Are you the same person who made this?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/68658

And this.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/66044

And this.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/154637

>.>

Just asking cuz early 2000s nostalgia.
Quietust

Re: Hey Dwedit...

Post by Quietust »

Protip: this forum has a Private Message feature, so you could just ask him directly.

For the record, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes".
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

hehe Quietust, you match your facepic very well! :mrgreen:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Yep.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Now that Flash Player is deprecated in favor of HTML5 Canvas and/or animated SVG, and now that the Flash authoring tool's replacement (Adobe Animate CC) is available only for rental and not for purchase, what's a good tool to make animations that play back in Canvas?

Or in other words, if you were making animations like these today, what tool would you use?
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Flash CS3
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

In the age of streaming video, I don't see many reasons to use Flash, canvas or anything of the sort, forcing yourself to deal with complexities such as the limitations of each format, support for them, and even playback performance. AFAIK, most popular Flash videos end up being uploaded to YouTube anyway, where they can reach a bigger audience than in whatever niche site they came from, so to me it makes much more sense to get rid of the intermediary stuff and go all out on video directly. For this reason, I've been studying OpenToonz myself, and I really like it (in fact, I'm playing with it right now, just took a quick break to see what was new here). It's a completely different mindset compared to Flash though, so the learning curve is a bit steep, but it's worth it. If you master the plastic tool, rigging and interpolation, you can do 90% of what current 2D cartoons do. :lol:
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

A few things stand out as having not been replaced with the ever-common mp4/flv/whatever streaming solutions:

1) Interactivity like mouseovers, or clicking easter eggs. Youtube has an ultra-shitty annotation system which supports links, but that's not a real replacement.

2) If I full-screen a flash file, all the vector art scales up without distortions. It's a nice feature.

Flash was absolutely okay for what it was created for. It's been a scourge to websites as it was adopted for advertisements and website navigation.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Yeah, interactivity is definitely much more restricted with pre-rendered vídeo.
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:In the age of streaming video, I don't see many reasons to use Flash, canvas or anything of the sort, forcing yourself to deal with complexities such as the limitations of each format, support for them, and even playback performance.
There is also a limit of how many videos you can watch before your ISP starts charging an overage fee. This has tended to be greater for Flash or Canvas than for WebM video for the same reason FMVs on PlayStation take more space than engine animations on Nintendo 64.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

But this is the age of streaming video after all... If your ISP prevents you from using Netflix and similar services, you're living in the stone age.

I don't know how ISPs in the rest of the world are, but here in Brazil, up until recently, all broadband internet access was unlimited, with very few companies lowering your connection speed of you exceeded your quota. But now a lot of people are upset because it seems it became legal for companies to disable your internet if you exceed your quota. Companies are claiming this is a worldwide tendency, and that they can provide a better service this way.

I don't buy this crap, I think cable companies are just bothered that they aren't selling as many TV subscriptions as before.
Last edited by tokumaru on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:But this is the age of streaming video after all... If your ISP prevents you from using Netflix and similar services, you're living in the stone age.
Many rural areas have no cable or DSL provider. People living there are stuck on satellite or mobile broadband, and they find it hard to escape "the stone age" of a 10 GB/mo or smaller quota.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

tepples wrote: they find it hard to escape "the stone age" of a 10 GB/mo or smaller quota.
That, and for that measly 10GB/month they pay an astronomical amount of money for it compared to a DSL or Cable internet package of substantially better value.

*source - used to live in "the stone age". 10/10 would not recommend.
calima

Post by calima »

If you live in the middle of nowhere, by definition there's not many people -> you can easily get on the city/county council/board/whatever political thing you have there. Once there, you start pressing for good internet, it improves the place in the eyes of anyone looking to move there afterall, improves business, etc etc.
Guilty

Post by Guilty »

calima wrote:If you live in the middle of nowhere, by definition there's not many people -> you can easily get on the city/county council/board/whatever political thing you have there. Once there, you start pressing for good internet, it improves the place in the eyes of anyone looking to move there afterall, improves business, etc etc.
Hi, I work at one of the first ISPs to be established in California and I'd like to chime in here.

In rural California (most of California, a gigantic state), we have no DSL/cable access in many areas. This is compounded in my particular area, because redwood trees mean no satellite access. We have a disturbing amount of dialup customers here. I mean we sell more dialup than we sell DSL.

What's even worse is the politics here. My city is in the extremely fortunate position of owning the poles here, and all the conduit with few exceptions. We could very easily get fiber optics here, and it's a motion that's brought up at every meeting. And it gets backlash.

The council members here are old as shit. They don't know what a modem is and they think the future of the internet is 'wireless', whatever that means to them. The vast majority of people here have no concept of internet access, and they argue against it for a lot of reasons. When the subject of how much business it would bring comes up, that gets more backlash. Many people here don't actually want the city (capitol of our county) to attract any business, which to me is mind boggling. Then again, this is the same group of idiots that decided that stripping the main drag here down to a two lane road from a four lane road was the best way to make more people shop locally.

/rant