Russian Roulette [Complete!]

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: Russian Roulette [Help Needed]

Post by calima »

I don't use any, but I can come on IRC sometime, when we find a good spot.
tepples

Re: Russian Roulette [Help Needed]

Post by tepples »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:If I'm on the IRC, I go by 'Jedi.' Do you go by 'Tepples' ?
That or 'pino_p'.
Jedi QuestMaster

Re: Russian Roulette [Complete!]

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

It's done!

Attachments
RussianRoulette.gz
(24.6 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
calima

Post by calima »

You might want to announce it on NintendoAge as well, the Brewery section. And depending on the response, maybe consider doing a couple carts ;)
Jedi QuestMaster

I don't have a NintendoAge account, but knowing the attitudes there they'd probably want boxes and manuals as well. :?

But I already designed a label, so whatevermaybewhoknows?

Edit: And everything in that label is a vector (except for the screenshot), so it can be scaled.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is it that you don't know how to start writing a manual? You could start by reading some of the results from Google writing software manuals or how to write a man page. Or is it just a lack of time? Another way, if you already have a game design document, is to rephrase the important parts of this from the player's point of view.

I don't yet know of a process for designing box art. But if you have your label as layered vectors, you can reframe that to the front of a box and the front cover of a manual. The back of the box, on the other hand...
Jedi QuestMaster

It's a combination of:

1.) I haven't designed a box/manual before
I've designed labels many times; I have a template with the proper dimensions. I'd have to create one to include every dimension of the box and booklet. Though I have some complete copies of games I can use as examples, it's still going to take time, which is another thing.
2.) I have another project I want to finish before the end of the year
To add to that, the holiday season is coming up (and it's election year!), and I'm going to be very busy at work because of this.
3.) I Really Don't Care That Much
For a simple game like this, I feel it's too much of hassle to go all out like this. Especially for the booklet; I like the idea of designing games anyone can pick up without reading any instructions. This game is like that (even the PC version!) If there's enough interest I'll most likely wait until January to do anything.
Excuse my massive misuse of the blockquote. :lol:
calima

Post by calima »

Looks like FamicomWorld people also wanted carts (but probably in Famicom size?). Anyway, ask them instead of guessing.
calima

Post by calima »

The romhacking description doesn't mention Zapper support?
Jedi QuestMaster

OOPS! :shock:

I added it in the description.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

[quote="In "2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules", Jedi QuestMaster"]Any chance Russian Roulette can be compressed to fit on the multicart? :roll:[/quote]
In a PM 4 months ago, JRoatch wrote:I'll return to this when the need to reduce ROM size actually is brought up.
That time Is apparently now. The main improvement that will make this fit into the multicart is overhauling how animation is done. From changing CHR pages to instead animating the nametable, with the occasional streaming of new tiles for the silly faces.

This is my plan:
- First, finish improving encoder options for the main CHR compression codec to be used, Bagel.
- Next, hook in the decompressor to a "tile shader" that swaps around the color of tile sets so that Bagel can compress the filled backgrounds more efficiently.
- Decide if it'll be faster to use the existing C code base, or to rewrite it from scratch.
- In either case I'll be using some sort of string writing vblank system, whether that be tepples popslide or something of my own.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Considering that I now only have today and next Saturday to do this, I'm not going to be able to meet the revision deadline.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Hah, just watched Deer Hunter... a nice movie to draw inspiration from for a game :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.