controller test

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

JRoatch
Formerly 43110

controller test

Post by JRoatch »

Inspired by the best game ever, I made this small app for the current 2016 nesdev contest. It's not finished yet, has lots of missing features, and doesn't conform to the contest theme. but I still have have a couple months before the year ends.
Attachments
2016-10-31_controller-test.nes
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
tepples

Re: controller test

Post by tepples »

43110 wrote:Inspired by the best game ever, I made this small app for the current 2016 nesdev contest.
Which contest?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Re: controller test (read dates skeptically)

Post by JRoatch »

tepples wrote:
43110 wrote:Inspired by the best game ever, I made this small app for the current 2016 nesdev contest.
Which contest?
The one that has Action 53: Volume 3 as a prize. Not the smaller 3 month one that started in August.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The rules for the first two A53 contests did not allow releases of judged entries prior to announcement of the rules. The 2014 rules state "Entries cannot be submitted if they have already been released prior to the contest. The exception would be if there are significant changes making the original release something completely different." The 2011 rules appear to have been removed from the site, and Wayback Machine doesn't appear to have them either, but I remember their being similar. So I'll take this as an unjudged entry.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

*looks at computer clock*, oh, whoops. I guess I forgot to return through the time vortex at my workplace before posting this. I was wondering why most of my computer files were missing. Truth be told I only had the nes file on the USB stick I brought with me. I'll see if I can get the sources to my past self before the end of the day.

Thanks for consideration as a unjudged entry, it seems like my past self will have much more time to improve this before even the beginning of the contest.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I look forward to seeing what controller test/music maker/rhythm game you come up with. DDR with the Power Pad? Para Para Paradise featuring Coldplay and Peter Wagner with the Arkanoid controller?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

After testing the button layout a bit, (and now that I gone back to the correct day), I decided to change the layout so that notes that are only 1 semitone apart are on opposite sides of the control pad. Over the next days I'll be implementing the full nuances of control I plan to have with the Select button.

(P.S. this thread is a good candidate for the compo 2016 sub-fourm)
Attachments
2016-11-01_controller-test.nes
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

There's also a controller test utility written by a Japanese fellow, which apparently can test the more "odd" peripherals (the Mahjong controller, for example), but the biggest "problem" is that the on-screen graphics are ecchi, so it might not be appropriate for all people. I have the ROM around here somewhere (it's homebrew) if someone would like me to upload it.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

The links you posted a couple years ago are still active. Probably no need to upload them.
Amitari

Post by Amitari »

koitsu wrote:There's also a controller test utility written by a Japanese fellow, which apparently can test the more "odd" peripherals (the Mahjong controller, for example), but the biggest "problem" is that the on-screen graphics are ecchi, so it might not be appropriate for all people. I have the ROM around here somewhere (it's homebrew) if someone would like me to upload it.
Yes, upload please.