Looking for CPU<->SMP interface timing test ROM

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
jwdonal

Looking for CPU<->SMP interface timing test ROM

Post by jwdonal »

Are there any test ROMs available which test for proper timing/handshaking behavior between the S-CPU and S-SMP I/O register interface (i.e. $F4-$F7 or $2140-$2143)? I don't think I ever ran any real tests on that interface in my code. I just hooked the wires up blindly and it seems to work fine but a test ROM would be awesome..........
koitsu

Re: Looking for CPU<->SMP interface timing test ROM

Post by koitsu »

Does the official Nintendo SNES/SFC testing cart, or the burn-in cart do this? (This is a question for anyone who has actually taken the time to reverse-engineer these -- I have not, and I have used neither)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

I don't believe any of the official Nintendo test ROMs do any serious timing testing with the SMP, they just poke the I/O ports and make sure the SMP-side driver responds as expected. I can take a closer look after I'm home from work today if nobody else does.

But, if that's all you need, then I guess they would get the job done.
ikari_01

Post by ikari_01 »

I think they also do an APU RAM test.
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

koitsu wrote:Does the official Nintendo SNES/SFC testing cart, or the burn-in cart do this? (This is a question for anyone who has actually taken the time to reverse-engineer these -- I have not, and I have used neither)
This was useful information. I didn't realize that the Test Cart was actually different from the Burn-In cart. I thought they were 2 different names for the same thing. Thanks!
nocash

Post by nocash »

If somebody is making a program for measuring the CPU to APU clock ratio, it would be interesting to run that tool on different consoles and to collect the results somewhere (or did anybody already do such a thing?) the result might vary depending on things like...
- master clock (PAL vs NTSC)
- accuracy/tolerance of the APU clock resonator
- temperature
- maybe the clocks do even change when the power supply gets overloaded by too many controllers connected or similar things?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

nocash wrote:If somebody is making a program for measuring the CPU to APU clock ratio, it would be interesting to run that tool on different consoles and to collect the results somewhere (or did anybody already do such a thing?) the result might vary depending on things like...
- master clock (PAL vs NTSC)
- accuracy/tolerance of the APU clock resonator
- temperature
- maybe the clocks do even change when the power supply gets overloaded by too many controllers connected or similar things?
There are differences between the different versions of SHVC-CPU-01 let alone the 1-chip APU and the 1-chip SNES.
For example, from looking at various images of 1990 SHVC-CPU-01 boards (look at the number near the cartridge slot):
Unmarked - ? cap, ? , S-CPU (01), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), NEC -D43256AGU-12L
1 board - Large C67 cap, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), LH52A256N-10LL SRAM (note the 100ns speed)
2 board - Large C67 cap, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), MOSEL MS62256CL-10F0
or - Large C67 cap, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 A (02), MOSEL MS62256CL-10FC
3 board - Large C67 cap, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), SONY CXK58257AM-12L (note the 120ns speed)
or 3 board - ?,?, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 B (03), MOSEL MS62256CL-10FC (100ns again)

4 board - no C67, S-ENC BA6594F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 B (03), SONY CXK58257AM-12L (Note PPU version change)
5 board - no C67, S-ENC BA6594F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 B (03), SONY CXK58257AM-12L
5 board - Large C67, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), KM62256ALG-10
6 board - no C67, BA6592F, S-CPU (01), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), LH52256N-90TL
(pretty sure it's a 7, but might be 1 again)
7 board - no C67, BA6592F, S-CPU A (02), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 B (03), Panasonic MN44256S-10LL

These production line numbers also appear to show on the heatsink.

There are also differences with the APU (SHVC-SOUND) too, but I only have two of them.

Board B - S-SMP 2SU2V, S-DSP 230B64V, 2x MCM51L832AF10
Board E - S-SMP 10KOY, S-DSP 125A46E, LSI LH5P832N-12T and Toshiba TC51832FL-12

There are B boards with 120ns memory as well (seen online.) I've only seen B and E boards, and other than different ram chips, they are the same.

The B APU board I have, oddly enough was paired with a 4 board, while the E APU was paired with the 3 SNES board. So there might not be any connection between the APU version and the CPU board version.

So there is 120ns SRAM on the 3 SNES board but it's E APU has 100ns. While the 4 SNES board with 120ns SRAM has the B APU with 120ns SRAM. The 3 board has the PPU2 (01), while board 4 has PPU2 B (03) (both of these systems are power-on-black-screen, so likely CPU dead.) Then there is that one strange 6 board with the 90ns SRAM but has S-CPU (01), S-PPU1 (01), S-PPU2 (01), but the photo shows half the parts missing, so I don't know what is with that either.

So just from what I listed above, there are two CPU's, two PPU2's, two different SRAM speeds used on the SNES board and 2 different SRAM speeds used by the APU board.

My guess is that the "revision" number were just different assembly lines, as other than the S-ENC and C67 cap, the only thing that changes is the RAM. If 120ns and 100ns memory don't make a difference, then essentially all the SHVC-CPU-01 boards are the same except where the CPU and PPU2 chips changed.

Also look around I've seen a 1994 SNES-CPU-RGB-01 (2) with DSP-A, 100ns SRAM on the APU side, and 70ns on the PPU side (2/1/3 configuration) but the PPU2 is C. 1992 SNSP-CPU-02 WRAM B, S-CPU B(02), S-PPU1(1), S-PPU2 C (03),1993 SNES-CPU-GPM-02 S-DSP A. SNES-CPU-APU-01 (6) that I found online has S-CPU B (02), PPU1 (01), PPU2 C (03) and WRAM B.

On a SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 model there is CPUN-A paired with WRAM-B and MOSEL MS62256CL-10FC

I wonder if there is a way to actually figure out what version of the CPU, PPU1, PPU2, S-SMP, S-DSP are. The "Lion King" test appears to id the number (the one I included in brackets in above examples) but not the letter of the chip.
I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Kismet wrote:So just from what I listed above, there are two CPU's, two PPU2's, two different SRAM speeds used on the SNES board and 2 different SRAM speeds used by the APU board.
It is well-known that there are two major revisions of CPU (1,2) and three major revisions of PPU2(1,2,3). There's an infamous bug in the CPUrev1 DMA unit that will cause the unit to crash (most likely due to destroying the instruction pointer) if both DMA and HDMA would finish at the ≈same time.

There's also whatever's going on in the 1chip models that may or may not resemble what's inside a "2/1/3" console.

Otherwise, the RAM speed issue won't matter. Nothing in the SNES runs anywhere near fast enough to even come close to caring about 120ns vs faster RAM.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

The VRAM and APURAM chips used in different production runs differ in more than speed. Some of them are SRAM and others are PSRAM ("pseudo-static RAM", which is DRAM with a built-in refresh generator making it usable as a drop-in replacement for SRAM). I'm pretty sure that SRAM and PSRAM exhibit quite different bit patterns on power-up.
ikari_01

Post by ikari_01 »

They do, and for APU RAM, this is the reason the Soul Blader intro tune runs so choppy on some consoles. The player routine reads uninitialized RAM and performs calculations based on it (while it shouldn't).

I dumped power-up APU RAM on a number of consoles and listed them here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If anyone is interested in the full APU RAM dumps I should still have them.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

> There's also whatever's going on in the 1chip models that may or may not resemble what's inside a "2/1/3" console.

Yep, exactly. They stopped bumping the software revision numbers after CPUr2 and PPU2r3.

The 1CHIP system definitely revises both the PPU and SMP, and likely more. Yet they failed to bump the revision numbers.

> I'm pretty sure that SRAM and PSRAM exhibit quite different bit patterns on power-up.

I'd still really like to have a decent simulation of either of them. I've done lots of power-up WRAM+APURAM dumps and the patterns are always nuts.

My LFSR isn't even remotely accurate, but it does at least expose uninitialized RAM errors much easier. Good for homebrew, bad for the fact that many commercial games fail to initialize RAM >_>
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is there an easy way for a test program to tell a 1CHIP from a 2/1/3?
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Not that I know of, no. The PPU artifacts appear after they can be observed by software.

The SMP counter glitch not occurring is probably the easiest method, but it's rather complicated to pull off in practice.

Then again, I have not done extensive testing on a 1CHIP before, so it's possible there are more differences I don't know about that are easier to detect.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I ask because one could slightly tweak a game's dialogue to indicate the console revision in-universe, giving testers something to report without breaking immersion.

Code: Select all

<Midori>
 Hi, I'm Agent 111 from
 mission control.
 You can call me Midori.

<Amelie>
 Hi, I'm Agent 213 from
 mission control.
 You can call me Amelie.

<Chip>
 Hi, I'm Chip from
 mission control.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I'm bumping this just out of interest.

So my previous post was mostly taken from photos and the two non-working SNES's I had.

I've since acquired a 1/1/1 SFC CPU-01 from Japan (production 6) and a GPM-02 (the one without the "APU can" but still the separate chips) and discovered that the APU can on the 1/1/1 SFC is a different letter than the ones I encountered this one is "C". The APU board has 2 Toshiba TC51832FL-12 on it. The SFC has 2 SONY CXK58257AM-12L, and a BA6592F.

The GPM-02 I got has the 2/1/3 configuration (CPU A 02, PPU1 01, PPU2 B 03) and has S-DSP A, HM9453100FP Ram near the S-DSP, no C67 cap.

I've tested both using a S-Video cable before taking them apart, and then tested the SNES again. I had to take the cover off the SFC to test it because the SFC carts I ordered haven't arrived yet, so I just plugged it in that way.

One thing I did notice, the SFC has cooling vents at the front. I wonder if the SNES SHVC-CPU-01 plague in NA units is maybe a humidity/temperture thing? The SNES that I had that failed, the one I acquired from my sister and the one I got from a used-game shop all had the same CPU-death and all had SHVC-CPU-01 boards of 3,4 or 5 production.

I wonder if there's actually any difference if I swap the C with the E or the B board as the the only difference appears to be the RAM. Or maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree here and the issue (laggy drums,uninitialized memory as mentioned by Ikari) is literately a bug in that game.
I come from the net. Through systems, peoples and cities to this place.