2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

Punch

Re: 2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by Punch »

Just reposting something I said in another thread:
Punch wrote:In my opinion it would be nice to have the deadline pushed back by a month (to March 1, 2017) not only because of some projects that are popping up close to the end but because the NintendoAge thread for the competition was posted in January 10th. I'm biased towards it (since I'm not sure if I'll make it in time with my game) but I still think this is beneficial to the competition.
To be quite honest, aside from Wrecking Balls there isn't any late project coming from Nintendo Age and pushing the deadline back to another month might not be enough to motivate new entries from people unaware of the Nesdev thread... but it's not a bad idea if there's enough discrepancy in the number of submissions vs. number of project threads.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
calima

Post by calima »

Even though I doubt NA has many devs given the site's nature, I'd be in favor of pushing it back. Naturally, I'm biased as well, not having slept in the last four months kinda put a damper on my progress.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

On the one hand, the approaching deadline has pushed me into gear, and I've made a lot of progress during this plane flight.

On the other, I wonder how many interesting extra details I can afford to get in here if I have more time.

I suppose either outcome is fine for me, really. If it'll help more people get things out, or at least feel like it's worth picking up an otherwise sidelined project, I suppose an extension is for the best.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

It wouldn't be the first time we pushed back a deadline. Sure, the NA thread was neglected, but even those people who said they didn't know about it were actively posting in threads on NA that mentioned they were making their games for the competition.

I'm pretty laid back and flexible, but I don't know if it would be fair to those who already submitted their projects. I'd like to hear what other people think. Also, since we are going to make this a yearly thing, the contest will essentially be starting up again right away once we get all the info sorted from this(last?) years competition. Picking a consistent deadline will be important so there are no surprises in the future. We might also be entertaining the "app" idea from 2014 in the future, since there have been a handful of entries that don't really qualify as games and therefore will have a difficult time fitting into the current judging categories.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I'd like to hear what other people think.
Since prompted, here's my 2 cents:

I voted yes. Normally, i'd say 'no' out of principle. Also, my part in the project recently published as a progress thread is about done and i'm happy with what i've contributed, regardless if the project makes the deadline or not. But for reasons posted in that threads' OP, i voted like i did. You cannot plan for unexpected health issues that are bad enough to set you back, so i think of it as kind of a force majeur case.

I think it's fair enough from a competition standpoint. The ones who've gotten their projects to a presentable state in good time then have time to polish and tweak at their leisure, possibly making their entries more stronger candidates. Some contributors might not want to alter their entries any more though, so that might be a point. On NA, i don't know nearly enough about the forums or the compos' relation to it, there's nothing for me to say on that matter.

I do see the point of having a regular date in the future, though. Like the last sunday in month x or something.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

WheelInventor wrote: On NA, i don't know nearly enough about the forums or the compos' relation to it, there's nothing for me to say on that matter.

I do see the point of having a regular date in the future, though. Like the last sunday in month x or something.
The involvement of Nintendoage is essentially because they are the only other english website that is involved in homebrew development. Also many people there do not wander over to the NESDev forums, and Dain was willing to host the website at no cost. It was a bit of an effort to bring the communities together.

I thought Jan 31st was a good date since people are usually really busy with holiday prep/finals in December. The only alternative I could think of is some time earlier in the year, but given the date of the announcement that wouldn't leave a whole lot of development time.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

If we do extend I suggest we pick a date that we plan to stick to year in year out. No need to worry about future issues of people not knowing about an upcoming compo and deadline if they can count on the deadline coming the same time each year. That was kind of the original point, pick a date on the calendar to wrap up the compo each year. Then we stick to it so people can count on us holding another compo the following year. To some degree I feel the creditably of the compo degrades slightly if we decide to change the deadline when it's less than a week away. But perhaps that's not something to be concerned about. These are just my thoughts, I don't feel strongly enough to be disappointed/happy one way or the other.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

The credibility argument is what i think i meant by mentioning 'principle', i just couldn't find the right words for it at the time.

One thing that might be good to clarify before the vote has ended, is it constituting or advisory?
infiniteneslives

WheelInventor wrote:One thing that might be good to clarify before the vote has ended, is it constituting or advisory?
The poll doesn't propose a new date either. So it's hard to decide what to do exactly based on the results of the poll alone. Based on this and the fact the poll itself doesn't have a deadline, the presumption is the poll is advisory.

We're less than a week away now so each day that passes, and we leave this question up in the air the bigger mess it becomes.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

We're less than a week away now so each day that passes, and we leave this question up in the air the bigger mess it becomes.
True. I'd like to suggest the following outline to get things going:

-someone or some few who already has compo-related community confidence (in the form of managing the compo bugdet, publication, etc) form an interim board. The fewer, the more efficient.
-that board Instates a 24 hour respite starting asap to let community members around the globe/clock figure these questions out and speak their mind in a designated thread. When the respite has ended, it has ended.
-Findings before the respite has ended is taken as advice for the interim board who publish a decision on terms.

It's not perfectly democratically secure, but it's something. The formality of it helps the process be clear and time-exact.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

infiniteneslives wrote:We're less than a week away now so each day that passes, and we leave this question up in the air the bigger mess it becomes.
This is why I voted no. I don't really care much what you guys decide, but it just seems a lot easier for y'all to say "we had a deadline, it's done" than to waffle about trying to please everyone.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Anything decided yet? I'm about to do a quick redesign to my current project to meet the deadline and I was wondering.

I'm just going to assume the deadline won't be extended for now but it would be nice to get an update on the matter.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I would also like to know what the final decision is. That has a lot to do with what I've got to work on for the next few days.
infiniteneslives

I emailed Tepples and NESHomebrew just now in effort to try and form a final decision on this matter.

At this point I would plan for the original deadline.
infiniteneslives

It's concluded. Between the 3 of us the decision was made to stick to original deadline of Jan 31st. The goal is to have an annual compo that can be relied upon to end Jan 31st each year. If you've missed out on last year's compo, you're just in time for this year's. There will be ample time for tweaks and polishing of entries prior to cartridge production. Late entries are still welcome and available for inclusion on the cartridge along with any other desired work that is created outside of the compo.