Action 53 volume 3

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

Re: Action 53 volume 3

Post by Myask »

JRoatch wrote: I also have this wishlist (from when I previously looked for space fillers) of things I would like to have on Action 53 eventually, but probably never will due to licensing and/or contact issues.
- Alter Ego
- Inversion
- STING
Going beyond 18 does reduce the suitability of ⎡Action 53/3⎤ as volume title, not that that should mean much to anyone.
tepples

Post by tepples »

New build. Changes:
  • Fixed mirroring in autosubmulti, primarily affecting Super Tilt Bro.
  • Updated Cheril the Goddess, Filthy Kitchen, Karate Kick, and Waddles the Duck
Alter Ego is a port of a ZX Spectrum game by Denis Grachev. We'd need to seek his permission.

Unchained Nostalgia is essentially a music video for a musical composition by Alex North. We'd need to seek his permission.

So anyway:
The title screen has up to 208 tiles and must satisfy the palette and attribute restrictions of an NES background. (The other 48 tiles are used for the version and copyright notice strings.)
Attachments
a53vol3-page8.7z
(396.45 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I got a stupid idea that would work for filling 1 of the 4 32KiB banks left.

I spent like 30 minutes hacking together a NROM build of Russian Roulette which has a single CHR ROM page, making sure it doesn't do any MMC1 or extended ram writes. It plays and sounds exactly the same but the portraits are hilariously scrambled and non animated.

The idea I had was to include that hacked NROM build complete with description, but dummy it out by decrementing the total number of titles on the last page. That way it can still be played by restoring it with a single Game Genie code.
tepples

Post by tepples »

JRoatch wrote:I got a stupid idea that would work for filling 1 of the 4 32KiB banks left.

I spent like 30 minutes hacking together a NROM build of Russian Roulette which has a single CHR ROM page, making sure it doesn't do any MMC1 or extended ram writes. It plays and sounds exactly the same but the portraits are hilariously scrambled and non animated.
Could you do an UNROM build with portraits that aren't scrambled but aren't animated either? Or would it be better just to save it for the remix compo, where it "votes off" the Russian Roulette game from volume 1?
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Better to save it for remix compo. Otherwise I'll end up spinning myself into frustration again. Like, I still don't know how to make assembly subroutines into C callable functions.

I was suggesting the hidden NROM idea because I have successfully tested that in my local a53 menu build, including the game genie code reveal.

oops, sorry I forgot to attach the thing I was even talking about in my last post.
Attachments
2017-04-21_RR-nrom-lol.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

JRoatch wrote:I still don't know how to make assembly subroutines into C callable functions.
If you have at most one 8-bit, 16-bit, or 16-bit pointer parameter to the function, and the return value is at most the same, then all you have to do is declare the function with __fastcall__, e.g.:
char * __fastcall__ functionname (char *);
and in the asm file, precede the label with an _:
_functionname:

For a 16-bit parameter, X:A will contain the parameter when the function is called.
For an 8-bit parameter, A will contain the parameter, and X has no guarantee.

You are not required to preserve the contents of A, X, or Y in your assembly function.

On function return, X:A should contain the 16-bit extended form of the return value to the outside function. (For an 8-bit return value, X:A must contain the 16-bit promoted version of that 8-bit return value, lest you coax out bugs like this one)

If you have more than one parameter, or the type of that parameter is more complex, then I'd recommend looking through cc65's libc.
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

tepples wrote:
  • Fixed mirroring in autosubmulti, primarily affecting Super Tilt Bro.
Thank you. Would it be possible to build with the last rom in the Super Tilt Bro. thread? It should fix an ugly v-blank overflow when entering in the options screen.

(Oh, and if anybody can confirm it is fixed on actual hardware, I cannot test on hardware for now.)
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

I knew I forgot something during the weekend.

I confirm that the latest version of Super Tilt Bro that fixes the tile corruption was not used. The latest version is "NESDEV V4" where the old version that's in "page 8" is currently "NESDEV AI". Additionally Juniper Scope 2 (which Super Tilt Bro shares it's ROM space) also got it's mirroring flipped from vertical to horizontal so that the planet in the background is now completely missing.
tepples

Post by tepples »

My fix for the mirroring was wrong. Egg on face. I apologize. Will fix.

We may have found our filler if the authors of the Ludum Dare entries are willing to let us use them.
pubby

Post by pubby »

You can use both Lunar Limit and Ralph 4 as filler, assuming there's space.

Lunar Limit is ~22 KB + 1.5 pattern tables of chr. Over 3Kb could be shaved off easily by trimming the lookup tables.

Ralph 4 is ~9 KB + 1 pattern table of chr. The sprites and backgrounds are actually on separate pattern tables but it wouldn't be hard to combine them.

(you can also include Color-A-Deer as a joke game but I don't think it's worth the space)
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Lunar Limit will make a great adition to the cart. I love it!
VEG

Post by VEG »

Unchained Nostalgia is essentially a music video for a musical composition by Alex North. We'd need to seek his permission.
It is not possible just because he died more than 25 years ago.
tepples

Post by tepples »

VEG wrote:
It is not possible just because he died more than 25 years ago.
We'd need to seek his estate's permission.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

While the offer for inclusion of additional work is appreciated, I don't feel that works which require licensing of that nature are fitting for the action53 project. Dealing with deceased person's estates is very different scale from the lax "license agreement" we have with contributors to the cartridge. It would present too great of a risk that loss of license, or some license conflict would put the project in jeopardy. Aside from any legal or financial ramifications of license issues, it would put cartridge sales on hold while a patch was created to remove the work. Reflashing and testing of all carts which already contained the work, etc. Then all printed materials listing it's inclusion are also wrong/outdated.

Nesdev isn't it's own legal entity to bear this liability. Being the person primarily responsible for publishing the cartridge, legal action would most likely be taken against myself. I simply don't feel comfortable with it's inclusion.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

tepples wrote:New build.
Twin Dragons doesn't load at all for me in this build. There's a stack underflow (RTS with empty stack) at $C06B once Y decrements down to 0.

We should provide our own title screens, yes? Looks like 3 colors, 56 tiles, drawn using sprites, correct? Seems like the other 3 sprite palettes are unused. Would it be asking too much to use those as well? Either way I'll get to work on creating my title screen.