Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by lidnariq »

... actually, I have a terrible idea.

Where's the exact program (exe) you're having him run?

(p.s. IDA free is adequate for my terrible idea)
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

I think he's just running the latest anago.exe paired with anago_wx.exe, grabben of the Kazzo site in the unagi_client_windows_062_GUI folder...

...........wait...... you thinking what I'm thinking? :)

also:
I fear that FCEUmm's source shuffles the 1KiB slices around, so even this won't be a match, even if it's closer to what's on the physical ROM.
I don't think that's true? According to the commit logs, the mask ROM for the Kaiser version was verified long ago, regardless of the comments in KS7030.c...
new UNIF board for "Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic (FDS Conversion)(Kaiser)(KS7030)[!] <---

What makes you think the 1K bit goes last instead of first?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

I can't trivially test this, but try this:
Original file: anago_wx.exe, 658944 bytes, crc32: e6e94fef, md5sum: 3d63754d378d2cabbe6e3353475a8dee
This patch should dummy out the lower bound check.
anago_wx.ips
(15 Bytes) Downloaded 229 times
What makes you think the 1K bit goes last instead of first?
It doesn't, but the offset math in FCEUmm looked wrong to me. The lower 12 bits of the address lines should be unchanged before and after banking.
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

lidnariq wrote:I can't trivially test this, but try this:
Original file: anago_wx.exe, 658944 bytes, crc32: e6e94fef, md5sum: 3d63754d378d2cabbe6e3353475a8dee
This patch should dummy out the lower bound check.
anago_wx.ips
Doesn't work, still spouts the "address range" error. :( Looks like I need to resort to figuring out how to actually compile this crap.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

That's really weird.

Here's another possible couple patches that might help?

patch #2 should change the specific value for the lower bound check, changing it from 0x8000 to 0x4100.
anago_wx2.ips
(14 Bytes) Downloaded 214 times
patch #3 should disable the upper bounds check. I don't see how this could be relevant, but applying both #1 and #3 should make it impossible for the bounds check to trigger... should.
anago_wx3.ips
(15 Bytes) Downloaded 220 times
It's not like testing these actually require the cartridge; just a physical Kazzo (which I don't have :/ )
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

Alright, the guy has to test the patch tomorrow, so I'll keep tight on how this goes. Man, all this trouble for one cart.
MLX

Post by MLX »

Hey, figured I'd drop by since I had just noticed this was discussed here.

The anago_wx.exe I have matches the given MD5.
I tried each IPS patch (with Lunar IPS), checked MD5 (if it was different after patching & checked consistency) as well each time with CertUtil -hashfile anago_wx.exe MD5. Each time it was still giving the 0x8000->0x10000 address error.

I'll try to recompile it on my old computer as well, might be able to… or not.
Last edited by MLX on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

After a day of libusb errors and stretching around with Squirrel 2 on a slow computer, I've managed to get anago to dump the cart! Success!
Attachments
yeessss.png
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

yeessss indeed!
kazblox

Post by kazblox »

...but it doesn't look like I can successfully emulate it in MAME anyways. The bank at 0x7000 appears to be the extra "BANK 0" that is mentioned within the comments. I combined the main 32K PRG chunk from the NROM readout, put the 32k and 64k chunks first, and the main 32K PRG chunk last to hopefully create a representation of what is in the actual mask ROM. The startup looks to be okay, but after a couple of bankswitches, the emulation freaks out and jumps to data.

:(
werewolfslayr925

Post by werewolfslayr925 »

Bump.

So, I'm having an issue with the kazzo. It's been working fine for almost a year now and I've been able to dump all sorts of games with it. However, my computer hasn't been able to recognize it.

- Using Windows 10
- Each time I plug it in, Windows says "the last USB device you connected malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it"
- Anago always displays a Reader open error message
- Vendor ID and product ID for the device read "0x0000" and "0x0002" respectively in the inf-wizard
- recently replaced the part where you plug the cable in (yay, soldering practice for the n00b!), BUT, even after the repair, it worked
- Tried loading the Microsoft OS with driver signature enforcement disabled, tried loading with it enabled
- Tried unplugging and replugging-in the dumper
- Tried two different computers
- Tried different cables

Is anyone willing to help diagnose/resolve the problem?
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

just replied to the ticket you sent me. Curious if it's recognized by windows in boot loader mode and if so, if you PC is able to recognize it when flashed with my firmware.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
werewolfslayr925

infiniteneslives wrote:just replied to the ticket you sent me. Curious if it's recognized by windows in boot loader mode and if so, if you PC is able to recognize it when flashed with my firmware.
Just solved the issue! Thank you so much for your quick reply. The PC did recognize it in BL mode. I didn't quite know where to go from there when I first found that out, so I tried reinstalling the firmware and now it runs fine. Thanks so much.

In other news, I'm trying to dump a copy of Lagrange Point using the script found here: http://svn.osdn.jp/svnroot/unagi/client ... mi_vrc7.ag

Unfortunately, it isn't yielding a workable ROM and the script only works in the 062 command line version of anago. The crc32 output is 0xcfb3e8b9. Does anyone know where I can find a working script for the game?

Edit: It turns out that it is yielding a ROM that works, but one only to an extent. The title screen shows and I can press start to get past it (with sound effect), but after that there's just a black screen.
Goufman

Post by Goufman »

Hello. I assembled the dumper according to this conceptual scheme - Image
I use the program - anago_wx
The cartridges are read correctly. Read 0,1,3,4 mappery - all is well!
But I can not understand how to record games on cartridges. I need to know where and what signals from FLASH memory need to be connected. I use memory - W29C020. I am very grateful for the help!
werewolfslayr925

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here; it was recommended that I ask in this thread about the following problem.

I just got a copy of Ganbare Goemon Gaiden and it doesn't seem to want to be dumped. I've been trying to use the VRC2 scripts found here and here, but to no avail. The process always goes up to about 15/16 of the way through the CPU dump and then Kazzo gives me the following error:

Code:
libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I've tried everything I can think of:
- opening and cleaned the cart several times
- using both versions of anago (60 and 62)
- doubling both the CPU and PPU rom dump ("d22" command in command prompt)
- exchanging the commands in the script to "dofile" for the script in the vrc4.ai file
- getting rid of the "dofile" line altogether

I've run the game through other scripts (e.g. mmc3.ag) as well just to see if it was only the script. I've also tested another game to see if I needed to reinstall the kazzo's firmware or something. Everything else checks out. Is the game corrupt? And if that's the case, is it just a matter of buying another copy?