nsf player for iOS

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

nsf player for iOS

Post by Banshaku »

Is there any free nsf player for iOS? I Did search on the app store but didn't find anything. Since I only searched there, I'm not aware if there is other project that I could compile myself and install it.

Any information on the subject will be greatly appreciated.
Banshaku

Re: nsf player for iOS

Post by Banshaku »

Sorry for the double post. Changed title since it doesn't have to be free as long the app is maintained. It's just that it such a niche app that I'm not expecting to find any.

I will try to search more on the subject, outside the store. If there any suggestions for good ones, I will be more than happy to hear about it.

In another thread there was a mention that vlc can play vgm. The iOS version doesn't seem to support it. I tried with Bregalad's files but they were not shown in the list. Will check on the subject on their support site.
Myask

Post by Myask »

I doubt any are available in the App Store. NSFs are, to my understanding, stripped-down ROMs that are just the music engine of the game from which they are ripped. To execute them, then, requires a NES emulator, albeit one not needing PPU functions. And to run your NSFs, it is having to run code provided from outside itself.

(the gstreamer NSF vulnerability would be an example of why they actually have modest grounds to be concerned, particularly with walled-garden thinking.)
App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer wrote: 2.5.2 Apps should be self-contained in their bundles, and may not read or write data outside the designated container area, nor may they download, install, or execute code, including other iOS, watchOS, macOS, or tvOS apps.
(slightly changed from last year:)
tepples wrote:
In [url=https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/]App Store Review Guidelines[/url], Apple wrote:2.7 Apps that download code in any way or form will be rejected

2.8 Apps that install or launch other executable code will be rejected
That said, they're only human, they could have missed this or not understood the implications of the NSF format and passed one through, so I wish you luck on your search (and am also interested in any results!)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

After searching a little bit the only app that seems that it would play most common console and computer would be modizer. By the name it seems that it was for amiga files but it supports nsf, spc, vgm and all kind of other format. The price is not steep (244 yen/1.99$) but I don't know if it does work well or not.

The current version is 2.6. The last update was in February 2017 so it seems maintained.

If it does work well then I could remove a lot of mp3 that I created from nsf files a long time ago and now be able to play mods, vgs and many interesting format.

Edit:

I found the github project so maybe I can try it and if I like it support by buying it.

url : https://github.com/yoyofr/modizer

For nes it uses Blargg's Game Music Emu (GME), which I never had the chance to use yet so if this is accurate then modizer should be.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Again, double post, sorry about that. (Maybe there is not must interest for an iOS player after all).

After figuring out all the compile issues, I was able to make it work on my phone. The first impression is that the app is quite good. It plays mid, mod, s3m, nsfe, gameboy music, vgm etc and the user interface is simple enough. So I guess it may be "the" player for classic game console music and other format.

I will try to test it more to see how it goes but for now it seems to work quite fine for nsf, which was my first goal. Other formats seems fine. For the price, once I finish testing I will surely buy it or contribute some fix for helping compiling the project on other computer than the original developer (hardcoded include paths are ~~evil~~ :lol: )
hawken

Post by hawken »

Myask wrote:I doubt any are available in the App Store. NSFs are, to my understanding, stripped-down ROMs that are just the music engine of the game from which they are ripped. To execute them, then, requires a NES emulator, albeit one not needing PPU functions. And to run your NSFs, it is having to run code provided from outside itself.

(the gstreamer NSF vulnerability would be an example of why they actually have modest grounds to be concerned, particularly with walled-garden thinking.)
Famitracker can generate and read .nsf
Audio Overload can also read them.
Theres plenty of music out there that is not ripped from games.

Theres a lot of music players on iOS for mod, sid etc.
twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus - gameboy styled game for 3DS, WiiU & Steam
RushJet1

Post by RushJet1 »

I switched to android about a year ago and the only thing I really miss from iOS is having Modizer on my phone. You can search any one of the libraries for music files (like HVSC, ASMA, etc) for whatever format and their selection does have most game soundtracks, and a good amount of scene music too. It plays whatever files you add to your phone manually (you can do this in iTunes, or you can use its browser to download nsfs or zip files of nsfs). I don't recall it having any problems with nsfs.

On android there are several module players, but none are as fully featured as Modizer and it's been kind of annoying trying to find a good one. Each one has some UI catch or playback feature missing that doesn't compare as well.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

After using it for more than a month I can say that modizer is the player for iOS. It play most format for console and does it well. The only thing I would like to have is when browsing a list, I would like to be able to start a song and from the list to be able to skip the track, like the current music app. This way I wouldn't have to switch back and forth between the currently playing song and the list.

I guess it is something that could be easily be implemented by looking at the code but the last time I tried it took everything to make it compile (hardcoded path, library issues etc) so for now, I will just use it as-is since I'm not in the mood to dive in the code again. At the least the last time I tried I was able to try modizer before buying it and I'm glad I did.