Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Zonomi

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by Zonomi »

kevtris wrote:it's in there but you'd need to write the PC side host code. the existing host code won't work. I tested a "proof of concept" and used it to dump a few carts so I know it works well enough for that.
Is there any guide to add the USB port (I guess some other components would be needed).
For 99% of people who won't use the copynes feature, would removing it free some space on the FPGA ?

Thanks for the update !
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

I'm having an issue with switching between 4X and 4.5X 1080P60 height. I've been trying to determine what I need to do in order for the change to take effect but looks like I always have to switch between 720P and 1080P a few times and restart the console a few times before it works. Saving the settings doesn't seem to help. Am I missing something? I don't recall testing this out so much with V2.25 but I've had the issue with V3 and V3.01. On that note, seems to me like the placement of the setting if misleading, since it ties in with the resolution it would be nice if it would be under that menu, we could have two options for 1080:
1920 X 1080 4X Height
1920 X 1080 4.5X Height
... or something like that. I realize we're running out of space in the menus... Or was it hidden away under "Save and options" because that settings is savable?

Last question, is there a reason why select is the key to exit the Hi-Def Adapter Menu rather than just B? Seems to me a little less intuitive.

Thanks
Nic
zolwikwkurwik

Post by zolwikwkurwik »

Hello,
did anyone tried to update the firmware using a Nintendo MMC3 board (with sockets) + eproms and NOT a flashcart?
I'm stuck on firmware below 2.25 over a year now and can't get it to update. When I turn on the console I only get a grey screen.
I'm using AV Famicom modded with the black Hi-Def NES kit.
philenotfound

Post by philenotfound »

kevtris wrote:
philenotfound wrote:
IMG_20170425_170442.jpg
Is this the result of the mentioned palette screwiness?
That is on a NTSC Rev. G PPU with a Famicom Adapter.
yes, that is it. This should be fixed now. for good, I hope. I haven't tried it on a twin famicom, but I do have one here. not sure if I will have time to open it up and put the mod on for testing though. Modding the twin fami is tricky because the way it handles power is... weird. it really should have the power system redone. The problem is they use a discrete regulator, and the power switch does not turn the power on and off. It controls the base drive to the pass transistor! I don't know why they did this. The heatsink is obnoxiously large, too.
I have tested it again with V3.01 and is it fixed, thank you!

While testing V3.01 I noticed an occasional glitchy horizontal line in the middle of the screen with Super Mario Bros. Is that something new?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

While testing V3.01 I noticed an occasional glitchy horizontal line in the middle of the screen with Super Mario Bros. Is that something new?
I think you may be experiencing this here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10104

Is this what you are seeing?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's unfortunate that interpolation was removed, as it seems to be the only way to get a 4:3 aspect ratio without uneven horizontal pixel sizes (and the resulting shimmering).

Would it be possible to remove the HQX stuff so that interpolation could be re-added? I would imagine far more people would want interpolation than the HQX scalers.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

The free-running (not matched with NES lines) scanlines could be removed, as I can't imagine anyone would pick them on purpose over the other options.
philenotfound

Post by philenotfound »

teknix1 wrote:
I think you may be experiencing this here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10104

Is this what you are seeing?
Yes, thanks, didn't know of that glitch, was only aware of the one in the Mega Man 3 Level Select screen.
bjorncollaer

Post by bjorncollaer »

Thank you again Kevtris !

Today i updated the Hi-Def Nes kits in 4 different PAL machines (German, Spanish, Dutch, French - secam) with the v3.01 firmware.

All the glitches are gone !!!

Simply Amazing ... :D

Proof here -> https://youtu.be/oQx4ucVmeQI

Best Regards
Bjorn
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

bjorncollaer wrote:Thank you again Kevtris !

Today i updated the Hi-Def Nes kits in 4 different PAL machines (German, Spanish, Dutch, French - secam) with the v3.01 firmware.

All the glitches are gone !!!

Simply Amazing ... :D

Proof here -> https://youtu.be/oQx4ucVmeQI

Best Regards
Bjorn
awesome! so glad it worked!
/* this is a comment */
Myask

Post by Myask »

Guspaz wrote:Would it be possible to remove the HQX stuff so that interpolation could be re-added? I would imagine far more people would want interpolation than the HQX scalers.
mikejmoffitt wrote:The free-running (not matched with NES lines) scanlines could be removed, as I can't imagine anyone would pick them on purpose over the other options.
I see three counts of "I don't want this feature so nobody probably does".
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

I can confirm that v3.01 has fixed all of the PAL issues I was experiencing! :mrgreen:
Guido Anchovy

Post by Guido Anchovy »

I just updated to 3.01. The new Palettes are cool!

I only have one problem at the moment and it involves the extra sound channels. Sometimes I get a loud buzzing if Sunsoft 5B and/or VRC6 is enabled. It depends on the NSF or game. I can post a sound sample if needed.
mykie

Post by mykie »

Guido Anchovy wrote: I only have one problem at the moment and it involves the extra sound channels. Sometimes I get a loud buzzing if Sunsoft 5B and/or VRC6 is enabled. It depends on the NSF or game. I can post a sound sample if needed.
This existed prior to the update; You'll want to disable these extra channels if the game you're playing doesn't support them.

From what I gather, enabling these is like switching to an input on a stereo amplifier that doesn't have anything plugged into it, you'd just get ambient electrical signals.