More NSF Requests

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: More NSF Requests

Post by tepples »

For example, Pently has three init routines:
  • pently_init: Init player state and silence all channels
  • pently_start_music: Init music track
  • pently_start_sound: Init sound effect
Pently's NSF shell saves the TV system, pushes A, calls pently_init, pulls A, determines whether the value in A is a music track or a sound effect, and jumps to the appropriate start routine. I just added sound effects (including drums) to Pently NSFs a few minutes ago.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

2 New Rips, 1 SFX re-ripped.
Attachments
Kabushiki Doujou - The Stock Speculation (SFX).nsf
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Meimon! Daisan Yakyuubu - Meimon! Dai San Yakyuu Bu (SFX).nsf
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
RPG Jinsei Game (SFX).nsf
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Vectrex2809

Post by Vectrex2809 »

MrNorbert1994 wrote:
Vectrex2809 wrote:
Would it be possible to make an NSF rip of Mitsume ga Tooru but with SFX?
Here is it.
Thanks for the rip :)
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Added SFX to this one.
Attachments
Tecmo NBA Basketball (REV - 0) (SFX).nsf
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves (NTSC) (1991 - Virgin Interactive) (SFX).nsf
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves (PAL) (1992 - Mindscape International Inc.) (SFX).nsf
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
SuperWill24

Post by SuperWill24 »

Here are some of my new requests. I apologize if any of these are above MrNorbert1994's current ripping skill, but if they are, hopefully someone else can do it, and I hope all of these eventually get ripped or fixed.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy (PAL, also with SFX) - I actually like the PAL version's tempo much better. I'm surprised this got overlooked by MrNorbert1994.
The Adventures of Dr. Franken (PAL, also with SFX) - The prototype game changes tempo when run on a PAL system (meaning the game must have been intended to be released in Europe as well), so either separate rip or update for dual mode compatibility if not already present.
California Games (PAL)
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (PAL, also with SFX)
Cosmic Spacehead (PAL, also a different version of Linus Spacehead's Cosmic Crusade with the same music )
Donkey Kong (PAL) - Also PAL of all other Donkey Kong games.
Donkey Kong: Original Edition - 2010 Wii re-release in Europe with an additional screen from the arcade version cut from the original NES version which features its own music track.
The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (PAL) - Only the "Aladdin" version has the correct tempo when played on a PAL NES (this game was released in the UK as well), so the "Aladdin" version NSF should be updated for dual mode compatibility if not already present, or a separate rip should be made.
Gauntlet II (PAL with SFX, including PCM samples) - This version's music actually sounds faster than the USA version.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (PAL, also with SFX) - This is the same as the UbiSoft US version of the game.
Kirby's Adventure (NTSC, also with SFX)
Maniac Mansion (PAL)
Mario Bros. (PAL)
Mario Bros. Classic - This is a more arcade-accurate port of Mario Bros. released in Europe, with the music sounding more like the NTSC version.
Mario is Missing! (PAL)
Metroid (PAL with SFX, also re-rip of NTSC versions with SFX) - This is the only PAL game I need left that's not already ripped for a possible project.
Mickey Mania 7 (PAL) - Like most other Ei-How-Yang games, changes tempo for PAL system, so should be dual NTSC-PAL if not already or separate rip.
Operation Wolf (PAL)
Pac-Man (PAL)
Paperboy (PAL)
Paperboy (Re-rip of both versions with SFX, and there's only one song present in the current rips, but there's one or more songs during the training course at the end of each level)
Pinball (PAL)
Pin-Bot (PAL, also with SFX, and the NTSC version re-ripped with SFX)
Pocohontos (not Pocahontas Part 2, but a different game by Ei-How-Yang) (both NTSC and PAL tempos)
Rampart (PAL) - This is the same as the US version of the game.
Rocman X (Re-rip with SFX, also with missing continue music (different than game over music))
The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man (PAL, also with SFX) - This is the only un-ripped PAL The Simpsons game.
Snake, Rattle N Roll (PAL)
Snow Brothers (PAL)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (PAL)
Street Heroes - The only un-ripped Sachen game I know of.
Stuck in Castle Nessenstein
Stunt Kids (PAL)
Super Donkey Kong (PAL) - Like most other Ei-How-Yang games, changes tempo for PAL system, so should be dual NTSC-PAL if not already or separate rip.
Top Gun (PAL, also with SFX) - The PAL version of the sequel is ripped, but not the first one.
Toy Story (PAL) - Like most other Ei-How-Yang games, changes tempo for PAL system, so should be dual NTSC-PAL if not already or separate rip.
Ultimate League Soccer (PAL)
Ultimate Stuntman (PAL)
WWF WrestleMania (PAL) - The PAL versions of Steel Cage Challenge and King of the Ring are ripped, but not the first one.
PAL versions of any other Codemasters/Camerica games, if present

Also, some issues with current NSF rips:
Paperboy 2 (both versions) - See request list for information.
Panic Restaurant (PAL) - Plays too slow, possibly same problem with other Taito games?
Fire Hawk (PAL) - The pitch sounds lower than it sounds in-game in PAL mode, which sounds exactly 2 keys higher than the NSF rip (if you change the pitch in Audacity, it will sound like it should, but slightly distorted due to Audacity's pitch-shifting method.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

What's the point of producing seprate rips from PAL versions? They're either the unchanged code that as a consequence plays slower and at a slightly lower pitch, or half-heartedly adjusted code that tries to imitate the NTSC original.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

NewRisingSun wrote:What's the point of producing seprate rips from PAL versions? They're either the unchanged code that as a consequence plays slower and at a slightly lower pitch, or half-heartedly adjusted code that tries to imitate the NTSC original.
+1 this. Personally I prefer to only rip one version, from whatever region it was originally intended.
Karmic

Post by Karmic »

More unripped FDS stuff. These tunes gave me ear cancer.
Doommaster1994 wrote:You can actually beat the Zatsugaku games easily by holding the Turbo A button.
Well that's stupid. It's clearly not how you're supposed to get through, but for some reason they let you anyway :p
Attachments
Bishoujo Shashinkan - Moving School.nsf
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Zatsugaku Olympic Quiz - Watanabe Wataru Hen.nsf
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Zatsugaku Olympic Quiz Part II.nsf
(28.13 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I have added sound effects to my Wizards & Warriors .NSF. That stop watch song was a pain to get working. No, I will not make a PAL rip.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Karmic wrote:More unripped FDS stuff. These tunes gave me ear cancer.
Just be glad they didn't give you hearing AIDS. :P
SuperWill24

Post by SuperWill24 »

NewRisingSun wrote:What's the point of producing seprate rips from PAL versions? They're either the unchanged code that as a consequence plays slower and at a slightly lower pitch, or half-heartedly adjusted code that tries to imitate the NTSC original.
Seriously, do I have to explain this??? Without both region versions' music, it's incomplete. It feels even more incomplete if they're missing your own version's music rip (PAL is actually my region, and I actually prefer the PAL audio from almost all games). If you notice, not ALL of my request list is PAL rips - I've also got the NTSC version of Kirby's Adventure which is strangely missing from the NSF archive and at least 2 completely unripped games (Pocohontos and Street Heroes) and a few fixes, such as Rocman X and Paperboy 2. I don't mean to sound rude, but...hopefully you will understand what I mean.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

Karmic wrote:
+1 this. Personally I prefer to only rip one version, from whatever region it was originally intended.
Another +1 comes from me.

I admit I did a few of these 'PAL Adjusted Tempo NSF hacks' but those were just for fun experience that how some of games that doesn't got a PAL release would have sounded like.

Another big problem that almost 95% of the European versions of Camerica games are NOT dumped at all, so until I got hands on thosem I can make their separate NSFs.
Attachments
Panic Restaurant (PAL) (SFX).nsf
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (NMS Software) (PAL) (SFX).nsf
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
California Games (PAL).nsf
(32.11 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I think there's plenty of value in being able to play back the PAL versions, even if only trivially different.

If the data is identical, you can just mark the NSF header as dual region. NSFPlay has options to select and also override region, in case there's any you want to play as if they were put in the wrong system.

If the data is not identical then I think it's worth having separate rips, and/or you could even use bankswitching and a dual region header to put both rips into one NSF.

When I made the Mr. Gimmick PAL rip, I discovered that the music playback was designed for 60 Hz, and had a simple piece of code to double ever 5th frame, so I kinda think it would be worth having an NTSC 2A03-only NSF version of that soundtrack, even though it was never released that way. Would just have to transplant some NTSC DPCM into it, and disable the doubling code.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

All 3 regions of Kirby reripped.
Attachments
Hoshi No Kirby - Yume No Izumi No Monogatari (SFX).nsf
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Kirby's Adventure (NTSC) (SFX).nsf
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Kirby's Adventure (PAL) (SFX).nsf
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
thefox

Post by thefox »

The same reason why we have dumps of PAL games, even though they are often inferior to their NTSC counterparts: preservation.
rainwarrior wrote:When I made the Mr. Gimmick PAL rip, I discovered that the music playback was designed for 60 Hz, and had a simple piece of code to double ever 5th frame, so I kinda think it would be worth having an NTSC 2A03-only NSF version of that soundtrack, even though it was never released that way. Would just have to transplant some NTSC DPCM into it, and disable the doubling code.
Could as well rip it from the NTSC (USA) prototype of the game.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi