First release of Noism (a hll)

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

strat

First release of Noism (a hll)

Post by strat »

Some years ago I proposed a high-level, compiled language for 6502 dubbed "Noism."
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9143 (the spec in the op is outdated)

Now I've finally turned it from No Man's Ism (was that joke worth the wait) into a working (but not finished) product. And with a sample BCD calculator program to show it off. All the working syntax is in the demo file. Requires Python (2.7) and ca65. (also check the readme).

Please post here or PM if you get a Python error or faulty asm and include the Noism file. Haven't tested on Python 3.0.
Attachments
noism_alpha.zip
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
slobu

Re: First release of Noism (a hll)

Post by slobu »

Very much excited to use a higher level language for NES dev. Hopefully my ignorant, confused questions will provide some useful feedback.

I installed Python 2.7.12 (32-bit) https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2712/
I installed cc65 http://cc65.github.io/cc65/
I added C:\Python27 to the PATH
I unzipped the noism files into a new folder called C:\noism

Tried to build bcdcalc.noi with this result:

Code: Select all

C:\noism>build bcdcalc.noi

C:\noism>set ARF=C:\noism

C:\noism>echo C:\noism
C:\noism

C:\noism>call python noism.pyc bcdcalc.noi.noi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "noism.py", line 265, in <module>
  File "noism.py", line 55, in main
  File "C:\Users\homedrew\Desktop\bkup\self\noism3\compile.py", line 43, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'bcdcalc.noi.noi'

C:\noism>cd ../cc65/bin

C:\cc65\bin>call ca65 --cpu 6502 -I C:\noism C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.asm -o C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.o
Fatal error: Cannot open input file `C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.asm': No such file or directory

C:\cc65\bin>call ld65 -C C:\noism/config.cfg --obj-path C:\noism -o C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.nes C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.o
ld65: Error: Input file `C:\noism/bcdcalc.noi.o' not found

C:\cc65\bin>cd C:\noism
C:\noism>
Definetly interested in a Windows executable. Cobbling together the requirements (ca65 or cc65? Python versions, etc..) may also be a hiccup for novices.
strat

Post by strat »

Forgot to mention:

build bcdcalc

The build file appends the .noi extension.
slobu

Post by slobu »

Argh! Thanks for the second pair of eyes. I let autocomplete botch things (even though I read through the build.bat file)

Ran resulting bcdcalc.nes in FCEUX without issue.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Your batch wasn't working for me, so I reduced it for testing. I copied the ca65.exe and ld65.exe to the same folder and made the batch like this:

Code: Select all

PATH=C:\Python27
python noism.pyc test.noi
ca65 --cpu 6502 -i test.asm -o test.o
ld65 --obj test.o -o test.nes -C config.cfg

pause
After reducing everything to the max and it still not working I started doing random tests, until I found out that the "no input files" error was because of the -I. When I made it -i it compiled the nes rom.

By the way, you don't need to use the "call" command. That is only needed for when executing other batch files from within a batch file.

Is there a recommended text editor with syntax highlighting that is compatible with noism?
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Why .pyc and not .py? I don't know how to make a patch against a .pyc.

And why "distributed free of charge for non-commercial purposes"? What do you consider "commercial purposes"? For example, are you against the practice of distributing copies of a game on cartridge for a fee? Or do you want your cut of said fee?
slobu

Post by slobu »

tepples wrote:Why .pyc and not .py? I don't know how to make a patch against a .pyc.

And why "distributed free of charge for non-commercial purposes"? What do you consider "commercial purposes"? For example, are you against the practice of distributing copies of a game on cartridge for a fee? Or do you want your cut of said fee?
Oh, poop. I didn't see where the license was. This detail greatly effects me as I publish and sell some of my games. Left a salaried job to do so.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Can you post some example Noism code showing off the features?
strat

Post by strat »

Thanks everyone for your interest. I made an example Noism file that walks through the basic syntax and a text highlighter for Notepad++ (where I do most of my work).

Tepples: Noism might as well be open src because pyc readily decompiles back to the original Python code. But I want to clean it up before putting out a proper open src version.

As to my plans for Noism itself I'll address that in a PM to those who asked.
Attachments
highlight_example.zip
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 200 times