FCEUX crashes when I close a ROM

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

FCEUX crashes when I close a ROM

Post by tokumaru »

Ever since I switched to Windows 10, FCEUX crashes every time I select File -> Close. I find this a little annoying, because there are times when I want to keep the emulator open while I do something else but I don't want a game running in the background. Does this happen to anyone else? Should this be reported to anyone?
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: FCEUX crashes when I close a ROM

Post by Zepper »

Download link, plz? I'd like to test it.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Doesn't happen to me.

One thing I would try is to temporarily rename the config file (fceux.cfg), and try if it does the same on a fresh config.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Zepper wrote:Download link, plz? I'd like to test it.
I got the latest stable release (2.2.3 win32) here: http://www.fceux.com/web/download.html

And also the latest build here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/zeromus ... /artifacts

Both versions show the behavior I described above on my machine.
thefox wrote:One thing I would try is to temporarily rename the config file (fceux.cfg), and try if it does the same on a fresh config.
The only things I changed were the keys for controller 1, enabled the NTSC filter and enabled all scanlines. But I'll try a clean config.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

I get the same behavior on Win10 running FCEUX 2.2.3 with a controller configured and NTSC filter:
close.png
Although, after I disabled the filter it worked as expected, then I re-enabled it and now FCEUX just closes with an error.....
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Hum... So it might be the NTSC filter after all... Thanks for testing. I'll try without the filter when I get home.
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

FCEUX has always crashed on me when trying to use the NTSC filter, unless I disable hardware acceleration.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Yeah, just tested here and the problem does indeed only happen when the NTSC filter is enabled. The hardware acceleration options didn't change anything for me.

So... do you think anything can be done about this or it is what it is? Maybe something weird happens when the emulator stops sending images to the NTSC filter?

EDIT: Switching from another filter to the NTSC filter after having closed a game crashes the emulator too.
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Sounds like a use after free bug, or something in a destructor. I might be able to take a look at it.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

20170818163923.png
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

Oh lol, the repo is still on SVN? Maybe tomorrow.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

dustmop wrote:Oh lol, the repo is still on SVN? Maybe tomorrow.
It's relative popularity is clearly in decline to Git but SVN is widely used, actively maintained, and certainly not obsolete. I don't really see why not proactively doing non-productive work like changing the version control system for popularity's sake is worth a "lol". :P
calima

Post by calima »

If it brings contributors, or even drive-by pull requests, it's productive.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Sorry, I probably should have just held my tongue. I have no desire to provoke an argument about whether FCEUX would theoretically benefit from moving to Github (something which would take a significant amount of work by its maintainers). I was merely expressing displeasure at the idea that "still using SVN" is something to laugh at.

(BTW, the same comment without the "lol" or "still" would have been completely germane to me. If you like Git better and don't have SVN tools at the ready, I don't mind that part at all.)
Last edited by rainwarrior on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

What's the practical difference between a diff -ub attachment to an issue in an issue tracker and a pull request in a web frontend to Git, other than that the latter has automatic checking for whether it merges cleanly?

To me, the practical difference when I build FCEUX from source on a Debian box is that git svn clone takes a lot longer than git clone because it has to download some object for each revision one by one. So does the pull command git svn rebase, which also has rebase semantics as opposed to merge semantics.

If you like Git, you can use it locally and then submit a diff against origin. I don't know how to spin up the development environment in Windows or the exact set of packages to dnf in Fedora, but this should "git" you started in Debian or Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential git git-svn scons libsdl-image1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgd-dev liblua5.1-0-dev
mkdir -p ~/develop
cd ~/develop
git svn clone svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/fceultra/code/fceu/trunk fceux
cd fceux
nice scons -j2
scons --prefix=$HOME/.local install