Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
dougeff
Posts: 2598
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 pm
Location: DIGDUG
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by dougeff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 am

I was thinking of simpler. Like the Pacman screen that says "Blinky...Pinky...Inky...Clyde"
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

User avatar
Lazycow
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by Lazycow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 am

Bossfights! hui!

Doing random movements in attract mode sucks somehow, but you could just show some screens without the player for some seconds and then return to the title. Maybe.

User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 11437
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by tokumaru » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:01 am

A few dozen bytes should be enough to hold a few seconds of RLE-encoded input logs for simpler sections of a level (i.e. not much jumping or shooting). You might even use just 4 bits to represent input, doubling the amount of state each byte can hold, by excluding up and down if that doesn't cripple the game play. Left + right at the same time could be used as a flag for special codes, such as "end demo".

Another way to get the most out of logged keypresses is to reduce the input frequency from 60 to, say, 15fps. This way you could have each byte in the following format:

Code: Select all

LRABDDDD
L: left
R: right
A: button A
B: button B
DDDD: number of times to repeat this input combination (1 to 64 frames, in steps of 4);

Just an idea.
Last edited by tokumaru on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gauauu
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 pm
Location: Central Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by gauauu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 am

tokumaru wrote:A few dozen bytes should be enough to hold a few seconds of RLE-encoded input logs for simpler sections of a level (i.e. not much jumping or shooting). You might even use just 4 bits to represent input, doubling the amount of state each byte can hold, by excluding up and down if that doesn't cripple the game play. Left + right at the same time could be used as a flag for special codes, such as "end demo".


This is true. But if you're already out of space, adding the support code (branches to handle attract mode vs real play, interpreter for your input playback, etc) is non-trivial, even if it's relatively small.

calima
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by calima » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 am

gauauu wrote:I'm not sure that an attract mode that plays that poorly would be worth even bothering to put in there.

Does anybody really watch them longer than a couple seconds?

User avatar
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by FrankenGraphics » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 am

gauauu wrote:
tokumaru wrote:A few dozen bytes should be enough to hold a few seconds of RLE-encoded input logs for simpler sections of a level (i.e. not much jumping or shooting). You might even use just 4 bits to represent input, doubling the amount of state each byte can hold, by excluding up and down if that doesn't cripple the game play. Left + right at the same time could be used as a flag for special codes, such as "end demo".


This is true. But if you're already out of space, adding the support code (branches to handle attract mode vs real play, interpreter for your input playback, etc) is non-trivial, even if it's relatively small.


I think just feeding slowly into the controller buffer in zp ought to be enough. The demo doesn’t need to be masterful. You can probably get away with a really low sample rate, which would be easier than bitpacking... even if it is a neat idea.
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog

User avatar
nesrocks
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:40 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by nesrocks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

Every NES attract mode I can remember plays poorly.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!

User avatar
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by FrankenGraphics » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

I’ll make a note of it* for more extensive, competetive vs. computer gameplay. Perfect for sports, racing, and humanoid boss battles like the doppelganger in cv3 but better/less glitchy.

*edit: tokumarus' idea
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog

User avatar
dougeff
Posts: 2598
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 pm
Location: DIGDUG
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by dougeff » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 pm

I managed to save a large amount of bytes by gutting every part of famitone.s and neslib.s that I'm not using.

Testing out some ASM macro functions to inline possible byte saving techniques.

Is it still technically written in C if I have to insert dozens of inline ASM?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

User avatar
gauauu
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 pm
Location: Central Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by gauauu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 pm

dougeff wrote:.

Is it still technically written in C if I have to insert dozens of inline ASM?


Absolutely.

User avatar
Punch
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by Punch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 pm

NES Homebrew of Theseus.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
dougeff
Posts: 2598
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 pm
Location: DIGDUG
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by dougeff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 am

Honestly, it doesn't look bad with black. What do you think?
Attachments
Jammin14bk.png
Jammin14bk.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

tepples
Posts: 21706
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by tepples » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am

Is this Donkey Kong? :P

User avatar
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by FrankenGraphics » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am

It certainly provides an early 80:s arcadey air and charm... i think you could go with either, or even one of the pastels. The black might be a bit more relaxing to the eye, but the white is a little novel.
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog

User avatar
toggle switch
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Progress Thread - Jammin Honey

Post by toggle switch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 am

in my opinion the black looks much better.

Post Reply