It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 am 

Having been uberbusy this year I had to settle on something more simple than my last year entries. This time we have a top-down, flick screen adventure where you control Cheril shooting, dodging, jumping over lava pits, and solving some puzzles which have to do with the classic Sokoban.

It will be CNROM coded in C and using neslib and famitone2. It will use two CHR banks for graphics, and two for map data.

I still have some things to iron out before I can post a demo so you can tell me what you think :) Some screens will have to do, for the moment.

We are aiming for a moody, gloomy athmosphere. The game uses rudimentary yet effective rain and lighting effects and I'm planning to add a boss, if I have the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 am 

Hey, pretty pixels! This maid looks somewhat familiar, do we know her from a previous game or does my confused mind playing tricks with me? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 am 

She may be familiar 'cause she starred one of our last years entries, "Goddess".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 am 

I think the HUD would look prettier without the =.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:57 am 

In fact I think you are right. I will try some combinations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 am 

Backgrounds are gorgeous, especially the way the floor is lit around the candles and the palette choice for the magenta lake, with the way it contrasts (both temperature- and value-wise) with the dark, cool ground around it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:34 am 

I really like the artstyle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm 

Thanks for the comments. I know I'm completely breaking the perspective, though. The reason is that I'm only using 32 metatiles per level plus the fact that I've tried to make backgrounds easily understandable, mainly because there are "push-statues over touchplates" puzzles all around.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 am 

Early demo, so you can see it in action. It's level 3.

- A jumps, B shoots. Press B next to a pushable block (i.e. a statue) plus D-Pad to push it around.
- You can jump over enemies (hard to time, though), and you should jump over lava pits.
- The objective is rescuing the maids in the level (just 1 at the end of this one).
- closed "doors" can be opened by "lighting" stones with a hole in them (after 4 shoots, they "light"), or by placing statues over pedestals. When all "lightable" stones are lit or all statues are in place, the "door" will open.
- some closed "doors" have locks on them; those can be opened with a key.

That's basicly it. The game is composed by short levels like this. Some feature exploration. Some are more heavy on sokoban style puzzles. Some feature more platforming (there are slippery floor and spikes for your amusement). Some are more action driven.

In the full game, elements are introduced one by one. First level introduces pushable statues. Second level introduces lava pits. Third level is this one. There are 7 levels currently, the final game will feature 10, most likely. Some are shorter, some are longer.

Hope you like it. Comments are welcome, thanks.

Attachments:
miedow-compo--20170105a.nes [64.02 KiB]
Downloaded 33 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 am 

na_th_an wrote:
A jumps, B shoots

Hm... Is it a de facto standard, mapping A to jump and B to fire? Or did you select this mapping randomly?
(I just wonder, because I mapped B to jump and A to fire and now I feel guilty) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 am 

Lazycow wrote:
na_th_an wrote:
A jumps, B shoots

Hm... Is it a de facto standard, mapping A to jump and B to fire? Or did you select this mapping randomly?
(I just wonder, because I mapped B to jump and A to fire and now I feel guilty) 8-)

Yes. The vast majority of NES games that had jump/shoot controls used A to jump and B to shoot. Games that didn't felt REALLY weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am 

Every NES shipped with Super Mario Bros. They decided A = jump. Everyone got used to that. Other games copied this to fit in with user expectations.

Edit. The only game I can think of that maps B to jump is Ooze, from Action 52.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm 

dougeff wrote:
Edit. The only game I can think of that maps B to jump is Ooze, from Action 52.

Also Werewolf. And boy does it feel inconvenient.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 pm 

after play testing project blue on an AVS, i am going to test reversing the controls as well, or at least having the option.

there are a lot of times when you want to hold down A while jumping and press B rapidly to fire projectiles, and it's a bit awkward. enough so that i instinctively found myself reaching for the wrong controls the first time i played it with an actual controller. holding down B while rapidly pressing A is a much more natural movement to make.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm 

toggle switch wrote:
. holding down B while rapidly pressing A is a much more natural movement to make.

Those of us that grew up with NES are quite used to holding A to jump and mashing B to shoot.