I am apparently a "[symbol] apologist" and a "piece of..."

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

I am apparently a "[symbol] apologist" and a "piece of..."

Post by tepples »

I am apparently a "swastika apologist" and a "piece of shit".

Source: Tweets by @xkeepah

Citing things such as this

Do I need to leave the scene?

EDIT: When asked what I should do to reform, the person who posted that tweet blocked me.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Re: I am apparently a "swastika apologist" and a "piece of..

Post by JRoatch »

tepples wrote:Do I need to leave the scene?
No you do not, and honestly the whole attitude of "burn it all down" because forbidden topics/words where touched pisses me off. What made me even more angry is that xkeepah is a well known person in the scene, and such comments could only serve to drive away newcomers.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Do you understand why the name of the Memory clone is in bad taste?
Do you understand how the political climate in the US makes it look worse?
Would you make similar puns given the current political climate?

If your answers were yes, yes, and no, then I think you already have learned the lesson.
tepples

Post by tepples »

lidnariq wrote:Do you understand why the name of the Memory clone is in bad taste?
Yes. The title was changed over eight years ago when this was first explained to me.
lidnariq wrote:Do you understand how the political climate in the US makes it look worse?
Yes. But I could not have predicted the change in political climate in the United States from fourth quarter 2009 when the incident first happened to the rise of the alt-right in 2016.
lidnariq wrote:Would you make similar puns given the current political climate?
I would not make puns about the Holocaust. I wish I could say "no" in general, but I also wish I had a solid definition of "similar" on which to rely.
Alp

Post by Alp »

tepples wrote:I am apparently a "swastika apologist" and a "piece of shit".

EDIT: When asked what I should do to reform, the person who posted that tweet blocked me.
Is... is that all? Yikes. This xkeeper person seems like a real cunt.
They're really not doing themselves any favors by blocking you, either.

Found the problem:
x_keeper.png
x_keeper.png (38.74 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
Pronouns in their bio? They have nothing of value to say. They're clearly just one of those Tumblr crazies.
tepples

Post by tepples »

By that measure, I have nothing of value to say either. My gender has been in my Twitter bio for weeks if not months.
By day, web app programmer for @PhilsHobbyShop. By night, retro video game programmer. "He/him". Expect puns.
Attachments
nothingofvaluetosay.png
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Alp wrote:This xkeeper person seems like a real
Could you not cuss.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

NesDev might be socially uncomfortable (and i'm sure it scares away some potential contributors with a tone that can sometimes get a bit too harsh, regrettably) every now and then, but it is a highly creative platform where people make great things. I guess she doesn't take the positives into consideration when she says it needs to be burned to the ground.

I mean... compare with certain subreddits which serve to create virtually nothing but spews a lot of intentional hate.

I think "concentration camp" was insensitive given the explicit theme along with the pun and that sometimes finesse should trump puns, but to quote what you wrote in another thread:

from __past__ import drama.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denine

Post by Denine »

tepples wrote: Do I need to leave the scene?
No.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Well, I feel responsible for all this mess... :oops:
While I tried to warn a developer of exactly these things that are happening to tepples.
Looks like I ended up stirring the hornet's nest.
What I was trying to avoid, I ended up causing!

Wich seems ironic, specially coming from a person who uses a symbol which seems like the double S on Twitter.
I've learnt a lot from this community, and am still learning.
This helped me a lot when I was depressed, I am also getting pretty better at english.
But I haven't give any good thing back, just this and other problems!

I'm really sorry for what I did.
I think I should just leave now, this forum is defenitely better without me.
Looks like it's the time, thanks for all you guys.
I sincerelly apologise for all the mess I've done.
Feel free to ban me / erase me / whatever seems to be the correct action.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Fisher, no need to do the walk of shame. That topic might've stirred up something, but that's nothing that can't be handled imo. Besides, aren't you quite active in the hardware subsection?
And if you weren't, by comparison i've lurked here since 2008 on and off without registering until recently so i mean.. in that case, i have quite the backlog to contribute myself.

Btw guys please don't call people names if you have it in you to avoid it. Meeting "swastika apologist/piece of s..." with "c*nt" isn't the answer, my 2 cents.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Xkeeper has a way with Internet Drama. Acmlm's Board eventually split into "Board 2" and his own "Just-us League". He also managed to get banned from the TASvideos forums.

So you're not the only person to have had run-ins with Xkeeper.

I personally don't have any problems with him.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Do you really want to leave the word "swastika" on the thread title?

A casual visitor to the forums might think..."what the he'll kind of forum is this?"

Or do I worry too much?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

tepples wrote:I am apparently a "swastika apologist" and a "piece of shit".

Why do you feel the need to change? Be your own person, Tepples. Don't change "for" other people, change if *you* feel you become a better person by doing so. You're an introvert -- harness your introspective nature and ponder it yourself. You don't need anyone's approval to change or to *not* change. Be you.

Said person has me blocked too. I don't know why. And that's OK. It's their right, and I fully support their right to do so. I don't feel the need to be everyone's friend. I'm not going to look at their Twitter profile, or "figure out who they are", or bother them, or "work things out" (whatever that encompasses). I respect their privacy, their lifestyle, their right to an opinion, and their right to voice that opinion (without imposing on others) -- no matter if it's the same or different from my own. But I also am a strong proponent of the right to offend, because it's part of responsibly supporting the double-edged sword that is freedom of speech: you have to accept there will be people who say things that you disagree with, or that may even offend you. I'm perfectly OK with being offended. I'm OK to listening to an opposing opinion, doing my best to understand the logic behind it, but still saying "I see, well, I guess we just disagree then. Hey, you like tea? Let's get some tea".

In this day and in age (in the United States particularly), we now have a very small -- but extremely vocal -- minority of folks who are "hypersensitive", "become triggered", require "safe spaces", and/or believe in postmodernist thought (the media loves this because it's an infinite supply of drama, and for whatever reason a lot of Americans love drama). Everyone is welcome to their opinions and right to express them, but I always choose the side of balance and neutrality. It's why I've always been politically independent, for example.

I could pontificate on this subject, especially when it comes to folks who are teenagers or 20-somethings (read: not entirely generational, but rather point-of-time-in-life) and how you learn to hone your opinions + be more selective in where/how you spend your time and energy, but it's extremely off-topic for this board. And I'd rather spend my energy/time doing other things, especially if my words would fall on deaf ears. It's part of getting old -- learning how/where/on what to spend your energy.

This will be my only reply in the thread. If you have questions, ask me on Twitter, ask me in a PM, whatever. I might reply, I might not. C'est la vie.
tepples

Post by tepples »

koitsu wrote:Why do you feel the need to change?
For fear of having my Twitter account permanently suspended, for one thing.
koitsu wrote:You're an introvert -- harness your introspective nature and ponder it yourself.
When I pondered it, the result was that perceived hate speech against groups that were victims of the NSDAP can be a career-limiting move.