New Member Introduction

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

koitsu

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by koitsu »

Pokun wrote:Yeah there are so many things Mesen does right, but it's not a PC Engine emulator :?: *confused*.
He's essentially saying he wished there was an emulator for PC Engine that had Mesen's debugging capabilities/features.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Rahsennor wrote:Welcome to the state-of-the-art in Linux-native NES debugging.
lidnariq wrote:Hey! Mesen's super nice :p
Nothing about TurboGrafx at all. Sadly.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

lidnariq wrote:Hey! Mesen's super nice :p
It is indeed, but Mono ∉ Linux-native.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Eh, Mesen is a mixture of native code and CLR code, and the CLR code is mostly there for the GUI and filesystem stuff. I'm going to have a hard time buying an argument that it's meaningfully worse than GTK3.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So am I.

Mono, Wine, GTK, Qt, Tk, Motif, GNUstep, XForms, FLTK, SDL, Xaw, all are ultimately toolkits that run over X. This means a Mono application is no less "native" on an X11/Linux distribution than, say, a Qt application is on an X11/Linux distribution whose desktop environment uses GTK.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Each to their own. I don't consider CLR/JVM/insert-bloated-virtual-platform-with-far-too-many-dependencies-here to be "native" to any given OS, unless it's a part of the OS itself. It's "meaningfully worse" than GTK3 because I already have that and use it for other things, while Mono is a ton of extra downloads/updates/bugs/configuration headaches/security holes/disk space with no other purpose.

Don't get me wrong, Mesen is awesome. I'm just fed up with every other app I want to use dragging 400 MB of crap along with it.
calima

Post by calima »

Besides the size, I do not like Microsoft patented technology. Even with a promise not to assert the patents, supporting Mono is a proxy to supporting Microsoft.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's a bit of a predicament whenever Microsoft produces extremely good software, which has happened a lot. I can see why you wouldn't want to support them, but then again I can't see them as worse than pretty much any other large corporation I'd be supporting by buying almost any product nowadays.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Sumez wrote:Big, BIG proprs to Sour!
Thanks! Feel free to let me know if you have any comments about the debugging tools, too.
Rahsennor wrote:I'm just fed up with every other app I want to use dragging 400 MB of crap along with it.
This is essentially a tradeoff between development speed/simplicity and disk space. Any software could be written to use little to no dependencies, but it will probably take an order of magnitude more time to get the same end result. Mesen's GUI was originally written w/ the Win32 API directly, but getting even the simplest of things working was prohibitively time consuming. Obviously, QT and other solutions would have been better than Win32's API, but as I am not familiar with any of them, it would still have been a lot more time consuming on my end.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Sour wrote:This is essentially a tradeoff between development speed/simplicity and disk space.
I hear you, and for the record I'm not blaming you. You're doing it for free and the result is top-notch.

I should probably save my whining until I've written my own GUI toolkit.