Best soundtrack?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Best soundtrack?

Post by FrankenGraphics »

There are plenty i like a lot. In no particular order: Marble Madness, Solstice, Faxanadu, SMB2(u/e), Castlevania 1/2/3, Bucky O'Hare, Rush n Attack, Blaster Master, Batman, Mr.Gimmick.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Probably Ninja Gaiden for me. It's difficult for me to choose an NES game with the best music because a lot of it starts sounding similar to itself due to how inflexible the sound hardware is, imo.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's great to know I'm not the only one who does that!
I recomend you to use a player that puts each square wave channel on a different stereo channel. That gives a nice stereo effect in my opinion.
As soundtracks, I think most Sunsoft ones are great, my favorites are Journey to Silius and Batman 2.
I also think that Dragon Fighter's sound track are nice, specially the last level's sound.
Konami too do some great soundtracks, I like to hear the music from the Contra, Turtles and Castlevania series, Gradius 2 has some nice music too.
As for Double Dragon, I enjoy specifically that crazy solo on the 1st stage's music of DD1. The last boss' theme of DD2 I find kind of inspirational. I also like the music of the street part and the inside the pyramid themes of DD3.
Oh, and don't forget Silver Surfer's somewhat Techno soundtrack.
Well, I think I'll stop now or I'll have a very large post! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fisher on Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The last time this was asked, I said Crisis Force. But Mega Man 2 is probably the best.

And I think Zelda stands out as excellent.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Out of all the games that I actually played back in the day, Faxanadu is still my favourite soundtrack. SMB2/Doki Doki Panic is probably second.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Castlevania 3, The Guardian Legend, and Life Force are some of the favorites I had as a kid.

Lately I've really been enjoying the Power Blade series, by the same lady who wrote half of the Castlevania soundtrack.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

If you like nes music in general, it is hard to say "the" best one. So many that I enjoy that I would have a hard time to list all of them ^^;;
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Many years ago (like in 1999-2000), I conducted a similar poll to the one above, and the results still match up pretty well:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/poll.html

I think nowadays I'd swap out my choice for MegaMan2 ending with Wily Stage 1, and Hero Quest's soundtrack has to go in there somewhere.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Megaman 2 and 3 are very good, but I prefer Megaman 3's.

I agree with Banshaku though. I can't even say which is MY prefered NES soundtrack, so deciding collectively which is the best is very hard to do.
I think one of the most overall quality and underrated ones is Chip and Dale. Also Yo! Noid. Hi no Tori. Pictionary. M.C. Kids. Rollergames. SF2010. Yeah. I can't decide which is the most underrated one.
Last edited by nesrocks on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

If non-NES games are also allowed (I meant, games that were only released in Japan for the Famicom):
Fantasy Zone (the Japanese version): Triumphs the SMS and the PCE versions (in the PCE version this is THE one aspect that went horribly wrong).
Kikikaikai (FDS): Just listen to the opening theme.
Memblers wrote:Life Force
Then, Gradius II: the Salamander/Life Force boss theme is even better here.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

1st post has been edited to add SPAM link? Mods, please check!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

They are becoming clever, even understanding for the first time what this bbs is about :lol:
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

One should assume that if they were clever enough to post and come back later to edit a spam link in that they will be clever enough to come back again and edit it again.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Yeah it's pretty much to the point where anytime someone makes a first post, unless it was obviously written for NESdev, you can google search the text and often find these are just copied from posts on reddit. edit: And many times the posts are copied from elsewhere in the NESdev forum. Sneaky bastards.