Rollie

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Optomon

Rollie

Post by Optomon »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/op ... ntendo-nes

Runs from August 31st - September 30th

---

I have effectively finished my first NES homebrew game, the side scrolling platformer, Rollie.

However, it is not quite available yet. Like most NES releases nowadays, there will be a kickstarter for it. I still have to do a bunch of promotional work and finalizing deals with people-- basically stuff that doesn't really involve work on the actual game but needs to be done. I'll post the links and what not when that begins.

This youtube video shows some of the gameplay and is something of a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnqGpK9szqY

The strong point of this game is its gameplay, physics, controls, and wide range of abilities for the player to use in order to get past obstacles. The game's most significant mechanic is that the player can roll into a ball and bounce around everywhere. The scale in terms of length and depth is about that of Super Mario Bros 1. The idea was to get a smaller scale game, perfect coding and data practices done before working on a larger game using the same source code, which I hope to do someday after this release is final.

The game also has its own website, http://rolliegame.com which I plan on posting updates, content, and other things related to the game.

This GIF image shows some gameplay from the title screen, which includes a two player mode where the players switch between each other.
Last edited by Optomon on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
toggle switch

Re: Rollie

Post by toggle switch »

hey man, we met briefly at PRGE last year, nice to see you've completed your game!
Optomon

Post by Optomon »

Hi, thanks! I remember you, Project Blue.

I still need to try that out. It looks like the type of game I always wanted to make as a kid.
Drozerix

Post by Drozerix »

Will there be bosses in this game? Looks cool. Also, is your kickstarter going to be for physical cartridges?
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Drozerix wrote:Will there be bosses in this game?
The trailer sure has a few sections in it that look like boss battles.
Optomon

Post by Optomon »

At the end of each stage is a miniboss battle. Kickstarter will be primarily for physical cartridges, but also doing some digital releases. Nothing too specific at the moment.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I fully support you doing whatever sort of release you like, but just wanted to say that there are plenty of us out there that would be interested in buying a NES rom. (as opposed to some sort of bundled emulator-on-the-pc thing)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@gauauu

An interesting anecdote, today I went to meet some homebrewer in Japan and I talked a lot about kicketstarter, release rom etc. For them, releasing a rom for sale is quite "unusual" and don't expect to do that. There is one group that did it but the sales were very, very low. So releasing a rom is something more popular/common in America/Europe than Japan.

I will try to guide them to release their game as rom version but I guess they are not ready for that yet ;)
Optomon

Post by Optomon »

I am delaying the Kickstarter to mid-August.

I have estimated that I am not going to be able to pull off all of the work that is going into the launch.
Optomon

Re: Rollie (Live on Kickstarter NOW)

Post by Optomon »

Kickstarter is now live, link is at the top of the first post.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I think its so neat to see new nes games! congrats on finishing this!
Optomon

Post by Optomon »

Thank you!

Finishing a game is tough, so it's good to know people appreciate it!

:)
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Optomon wrote:Thank you!

Finishing a game is tough, so it's good to know people appreciate it!

:)
When will be able to purchase this game on the site itch.io like what?