Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
Post Reply
canj
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 am
Location: Gifu, Japan

Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by canj » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:00 am

Hello. I'm trying to build a Sailor Moon Another Story English translation SFC repro for my wife and running into some issues I can't figure out. I'm quite new to this, only just started making repros. I suspect this is some sort of header issue, though I've tried removing, adding, ect and just going in circles.

I hope someone can help!

Original ROM checksum confirmed, no issues with original ROM file. Patch: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4654/

When I patch using SNES util, the dialog text appears distorted when running in an emulator.
Image

When I patch the original ROM file using Lunar IPS, the game runs flawlessly in an emulator, but throws an error if I load it in SNES Util to get it ready for the flashing.
Image

Error:
Image
Last edited by canj on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ice Man
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by Ice Man » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:04 am

Which version of the game did you use?
If you used the Bishoujo Senshi Translations version did you apply mteam's bugfixes patch?

I'd recommend this version:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4654/

If you did all of the above but still have the issues, it could be a cold solder joint or bad EPROM.

Can you post screenshots of your work?

canj
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 am
Location: Gifu, Japan

Re: Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by canj » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 am

Yeah sorry I didn't mention that is the file I'm using from romhacking. Haven't even started programming the EPROM yet, this is all testing via an emulator.

Ice Man
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by Ice Man » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:01 am

Tried it as well and my ROM doesn't have a header. I'm assuming it's SNESUtil being weird since it does have its issues. You will really only need it to byte swap the ROM in order to use 27C801 EPROMs anyway.
Nonethtless, the ROM is 4MB and I doubt you'll want to waste 4x 27C801 EPROMs for a first repro as those are quite expensive compared to others, also this method is obsolete and old.
Persoanally, I've made my own adapters for a 27C322 EPROM or 29L3211 3V Flash as well as SNES carts.

If you need more help with a reproduction or burning the data on an EPROM, let me know.

Also, for making reproductions, are you familiar with soldering?

canj
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:36 am
Location: Gifu, Japan

Re: Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by canj » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks for confirming, I was convinced I was doing something wrong.

I've got my m27c322 ready to go, I've got this lovely custom PCB from Mr. Tentacle that supports the 27c322, but I also have adapters for donors if needed. This is be my first time working with anything but the m27c801.

I live in Japan and you can get Dragon Quest V for about $0.50, which has two mask rom slots which has worked for of my repro work to date for 16mb games.

I've got an adapter for my programmer that works with the 27c322's, I found a way to split the file, going to try and burn the data to EPROM right now. I will update if I run into any issues.

Ice Man
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Text issue with SFC/SNES English patch

Post by Ice Man » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 am

Good luck. Hope everything will work out as planned. :)

Post Reply