Has anyone made a Discord server for NesDev?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Has anyone made a Discord server for NesDev?

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I've been wondering what if NesDev goes down. I mean, it has been a commonly speculated possibility. But this is far more concerning than I thought considering the recent COPPA and YouTube event; yet another SOPAstic method of the big guys to destroy the internet and the fandoms. Discord could be a good alternative although I'd prefer Telegram due to its better security.

Has anyone considered or made a Discord server of NesDev? I suppose it could be good to have one. For those who don't know much about Discord, well, think of it like Windows Live Messenger with an infinite chatlog, ability to edit and delete messages (unfortunately manually unless you consider risking being banned due to self-bot-aided automatic self-deletion; no, GDPR doesn't help you), many servers (communities) with many text channels so that people don't keep interrupting each other. I can already envision so many channels as NesDev Forums have quite a lot of forums and categories.
NewRisingSun

Re: Has anyone made a Discord server for NesDev?

Post by NewRisingSun »

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16576

Be warned though, it is extremely homebrew-centric. Even the emulator development channel is mostly on how to modify emulators to aid homebrew game development.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Cool, I'm joining !

Both Discord and Telegram works great for informal discussions either in group or 1-to-1; however both a poor for archiving actual relevant information, which a forum does way better.

Also they both discourage long/complex answers answering to multiple questions from multiple people in a single message, while the forum encourage it.

Neededless, when it comes to nesdev, the more the better.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I would prefer IRC myself, and I think there is a IRC already. (Logging is possible, despite what they may say. I don't know if they implemented it, though.)
Bregalad wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 amBoth Discord and Telegram works great for informal discussions either in group or 1-to-1; however both a poor for archiving actual relevant information, which a forum does way better.

Also they both discourage long/complex answers answering to multiple questions from multiple people in a single message, while the forum encourage it.
These points are still valid. That is because it is a different kind of communications (live chat vs message forums), and can be good for different purposes.

(But I also think NNTP could be used as a better alternative to the web forum.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)