New Super Mario Land

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Oziphantom

New Super Mario Land

Post by Oziphantom »

Mario Land, with the "NEW SMB" graphics style on a SNES.. https://archive.org/details/newsupermarioland
It is both terrible and awesome at the same time
psycopathicteen

Re: New Super Mario Land

Post by psycopathicteen »

The graphics are pretty good, but the collision detection, controls and camera movement needs fixing. The samples are really muffled as well.

Post by 93143 »

Have you played the original? It was pretty wonky too. (EDIT: Okay, yeah, maybe the collisions need work.)

Although the camera movement thing is new to this game, probably due to the fact that you can go backwards (which breaks the game a bit, and not just because lifts can fail to spawn the second time). It's not dissimilar to what Super Mario World did, but perhaps it's more jerky? It works with simultaneous multiplayer; maybe that made it more complicated...

Also, the game has been upgraded from 8x8 to 16x16, meaning you can see less of the screen despite the higher resolution, so it needs to scroll up and down. This is surprisingly not that big of a deal, at least in 1-player mode...

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that they removed the best part of the whole game (and the replacement was badly executed). Apparently they were really worried about getting a cease-and-desist from Offenbach...

Some of the graphics look like they could have done with some manual tuning, and some of the HDMA effects make less sense than they should (unphysical parallax on water, heat distortion on mid BG but not far BG), but overall it strikes me as a pretty credible effort.
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

I have been testing the game. NEW Super Mario Land (NEW スーパーマリオラ) (SNES Homebrew)

The truth is that graphically looks great. In addition, the adaptation of the music from the original GB game to SNES also seems very correct. As you said the controls could be improved in some aspects. For example, in the shoot-em-up levels, the control of the submarine or the plane could be greatly improved because in my opinion they move slowly across the screen.

On the other hand, in the platform levels I have noticed that Mario's movement is sometimes not too precise, which leads to errors when playing.

Despite the above, it seems to me an excellent homebrew game and reminds me of another homebrew Mario themed game called "Super Mario: The Last GBA Quest" in the sense that both have very good graphics but controls that can be improved.

In short, I think the SNES homebrew scene is in luck with the release of this game.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I wonder what happens if you run the GameBoy and SNES versions through the same controller input. I remember the controls being off, but not quite this bad.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

I guess that would be possible with Bizhawk with some TAS movie conversion.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

It seems like everyone got excited about this and I can't blame them because it is cool to see a full snes homebrew game released albeit a port of a gameboy game.

My main problem that I have with the game is the lack of polish. Sure it's kind of fun to play this, but Mario's jump mechanic needs some fine tuning. And the constant "yahoo" and "woo hoo" sound effects that play on every jump get real annoying real fast. One thing that seems to be done well is the wall slide/jump. But yes the basic mechanics of Mairo moving and jumping around need some work.

The HDMA special effects are pretty nice, but again not executed out in a way that shows polish. For instance, the clouds and sky on the main title screen just seem to move too fast for me.

Overall its a solid attempt at making a Mario fan game, but it just doesn't play that well. The music is okay and the graphics are okay, but the actual gameplay is just off.

That being said, I still think its worth checking out just because its interesting. Also for a single person to have made this, it has to be an impressive attempt.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Erockbrox wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:24 am My main problem that I have with the game is the lack of polish. Sure it's kind of fun to play this, but Mario's jump mechanic needs some fine tuning.
... have you replayed the original Super Mario Land any time recently? It doesn't handle very nicely.

I mean, you can argue that they should have changed the gameplay and levels, instead of just a graphical and sound upgrade, but you can't argue that this wasn't deliberate.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Maybe it was deliberate but it's still a bit off. Super Mario Land was my first game for Game Boy (together with Tetris) and I don't agree that it doesn't play very well. It is one of the best platform games on the system IMHO, in class with SMB for NES although it has a very different feel. Mario's deceleration is very high when you release the d-pad in SML, making Mario stop very suddenly, and they are doing something similar in this homebrew. However I just played SML to compare and it feels this homebrew exaggerates that, especially in the air where Mario almost immediately stops his horizontal movement when you release the d-pad. If possible I'd have wanted it to feel more like SML does. It may be an arbitrary choice by the programmer to what he felt good and similar to the original at the same time.

A more serious problem is the collisions. In SML Mario's hitbox is about the same as his sprite, but in this game his sprite seems to be about half his sprite making half of him appear inside walls and pipes when he stands right next to them. This seriously makes it hard to play. This is probably also a deliberate choice, because things like blocks and enemies in SML do have very small hitboxes compared to their graphics (or Maybe Mario's hitbox decreases when he is jumping). Possibly the programmer wanted to simulate that, although he got some of it backwards it seems.

A third thing is the fact that the levels seems to be missing a lot of things like secrets and some enemies. There are also many smaller details that are different (hearts are 1UP-mushrooms) but they are more arbitrary choices, and may be part of the new style used.

The fourth and worst part is the camera. It scrolls too far ahead and moves too slowly when changing directions, which makes it very annoying when you change directions often.

Still, I think it feels like he put a lot of work in making a good platform game and make it similar to SML. The collisions and acceleration physics may just be something to get used to (as they were with the original SML back in the day). We are very picky and sensitive to changes to a game we have played to the point that it has become a second nature.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

Pokun wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:46 pm The fourth and worst part is the camera. It scrolls too far ahead and moves too slowly when changing directions, which makes it very annoying when you change directions often.
Agreed. People should really look at what's out there... 1 2 3 4
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Zonomi

Post by Zonomi »

SFC Version
M. Nagler
Looks like d4s is behind this. It also uses his SNES SDK.
I don't know why it was released anonymously, when all the credits are in the ROM.
It is impressive, but could be a bit more polished.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

Zonomi wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:48 am
SFC Version
M. Nagler
Looks like d4s is behind this. It also uses his SNES SDK.
I don't know why it was released anonymously, when all the credits are in the ROM.
It is impressive, but could be a bit more polished.
I think they just doubt Nintendo would actually look in the code of the game for any credits. Some people don't have that kind of patience.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
calima

Post by calima »

Hm, I got the impression from the NintendoLife interview and the Japanese Nintendo Power carts that the author was Japanese. The credit could just be for using d4s's code from the N-warp game.

In other news, there's a patch that removes the wahoo jump sound.

Post by 93143 »

calima wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:17 amIn other news, there's a patch that removes the wahoo jump sound.
Some people just don't like good things...

But seriously, it's pretty much exactly what jumping sounds like in every official 3D Mario game. And everyone loves those, right? If someone wanted to patch this game, I can think of several things that need fixing more than that (though to be fair most of them are probably harder to fix). Did they at least replace it with a traditional Mario jump sound?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

The problem is that Martinet's voice is repeating too much so that it gets tiring. It's because short jumps are so common (try jumping under a 10-coin block). In 3D Mario games, jumping is much more sluggish so Martinet sounds much more natural.

But I agree that there are other things that are worse than the sound.