Save State/Load State GUI in emulators...

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
bklD

Re: Save State/Load State GUI in emulators...

Post by bklD »

Mhh... maybe Ghandi and Karina-Chan, but I'm really the definition of "Long time lurker, first time poster". ^^
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I love the idea of having screenshots of my save states. That is all.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, this is hilarious
xZabuzax

Post by xZabuzax »

For those interested a recent build of Snes9x implemented this feature, it's not the GUI I had in mind but it's pretty close to it and very good, it's looking really promising so far and I'm satisfied with the way it turned out to be. You can see how it looks like here:

https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues/580

You can download the recent build here:

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/v ... 32-x64.zip

The top 3 Snes emulators for me are: Snes9x, Mesen-S and Bsnes so I was deciding which one I should use as my default one but this feature alone gave me plenty of reasons to choose Snes9x as my default one.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I like having the date on there, and having a screenshot isn't so bad either (although, if you have a lot of save files, there might not be room to display all of them at once; you also need to store the screenshot in each save file so it will also use disk space). Actually these are something I wanted to have in ZZT. Making a screen shot of ZZT worlds isn't so difficult (I wrote a program which does so). ZZ Zero save files have always stored a screen shot since the first version, but nothing currently displays it (although you can extract the SCREEN.MEM lump (which is BSAVE format) from the Hamster archive, and display that in 80x25 PC text mode; that is a screen shot).
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

zzo38 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am you also need to store the screenshot in each save file so it will also use disk space
112 KB for a 256x224x16bit preview. Even if you have only 1 GB of space left on your HDD / SSD / USB stick, that's still enough for over 9000 savestates...
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
xZabuzax

Post by xZabuzax »

zzo38 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am although, if you have a lot of save files, there might not be room to display all of them at once.
That's where another feature called "Bank" comes in, that Save/Load window can display 10 save states slots at a time and you can choose between 1 to 10 "Bank" in that same window to display another 10 save states slots, in total you actually have 100 save state slots with screenshots per game, that's plenty of save states for 99% of the regular users so you don't have to worry about that.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Mesen & Mesen-S both have a new UI with screenshots to save and load states now (https://imgur.com/a/Vjza6Ca)
Using this is entirely optional, as all other methods of loading and saving states still exist and have not been changed.

The screenshots are compressed and typically take somewhere between 2 and 10kb, which is negligible (2-10mb per 1000 states)
xZabuzax

Post by xZabuzax »

Sour wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:09 am Mesen & Mesen-S both have a new UI with screenshots to save and load states now (https://imgur.com/a/Vjza6Ca)
Using this is entirely optional, as all other methods of loading and saving states still exist and have not been changed.

The screenshots are compressed and typically take somewhere between 2 and 10kb, which is negligible (2-10mb per 1000 states)
I'm so glad to see developers implementing this feature, I've tested the feature in your emulators and it's pretty darn good, this is exactly what I was asking for so thanks for taking your time in implementing this useful feature. I'm having a hard time choosing between Snes9x and Mesen-S as my default Snes emulator, Mesen has definitely become my default Nes emulator now.

I also noticed that mGBA (a GBA emulator) implemented this feature as well, man I'm so glad to see developers taking notice of this feature.