What code editor do you use?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

ShiningSun

What code editor do you use?

Post by ShiningSun »

So quite recently I've been on a "journey" of sorts trying out different text editors. Of course I am aware that each editor has their own strengths or weaknesses and people usually just choose what they like or fancy the most. That being said however, since this is a hub primarily for NES programming, I ought to ask the question of what's everyone favorite or highly preferred text editor here? What or why do you like to use it and what makes them the more appealing to you? Things like that
TmEE

Re: What code editor do you use?

Post by TmEE »

I use EDIT.COM and ConTEXT, because I require cursor to be freely placed anywhere in the editable area. I'm very slowly working on my own thing which is more (assembly) programming orientated.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Notepad++ because it's what I've been using for a long time and I see no reason to switch to something else. It used to have some annoying bugs but since they've been fixed there is even less reason for me to switch. I have made my own highlighting files for 65xx, Z80 and a few other architecture families and gotten familiar with some customizations and the like. I like it because it's an easy way to make a lightweight development environment with a batch file (and a make file in the case of C/C++). I now use it for about everything including C++ and Verilog, the last one I only very recently started to play around with.

On Linux I've used Kate and KDevelop, but that was quite a few years ago now.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

It really depends on what I'm working on, but for 6502 assembly, I prefer gVim. I was forced to learn vi for a job back in 2001, and once you've internalized how to use it, it's hard to appreciate anything else.

That said, I enjoy using jetbrains IDEs for any languages that they support (C, Java, kotlin, python, php, JavaScript, etc), as long as I install the ideaVim plugin to get vi key mappings.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

gauauu wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:05 pm as long as I install the ideaVim plugin to get vi key mappings.
Hah! I'm not a Vi(m) fan, but I'm ever too lazy to switch the editor for GIT when I need to squash my commits, so I use it for that. But I never got into the whole Vim thing. I used Nano where I could for linux or bash environments.

Guess I'm dull cause I only use VS code. I used to use UltraEdit years ago because I had a great syntax highlighter for multiple processors. For my work, our project is cross platform (windows and embedded), so I just tend to use VS code there as well. I'm not a fan of Visual Studio editor though (for the IDE, not VS code). I just baffles me why MS has a superior editor with VS code yet their IDE editor is lacking in comparison.
Garth

Post by Garth »

I use the MultiEdit professional programmers' text editor, the last DOS version, with an absolutely astounding long, long list of really nice features and a manual that's a inch thick. Today all versions are for Windows only, unfortunately.

Giving it stiff competition today is UltraEdit which is also available for Linux and Mac and is probably the top dog in professional programmers' text editors today.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
calima

Post by calima »

Nano. I require the editor to start in less than 100ms, and stay out of my way.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I use vim. I think it is good. Here are some of the things I like:
  • Numeric prefixes and many kind of motion-based commands.
  • Ability to call external programs to affect it.
  • Regular expressions.
  • Split screen.
  • Many other stuff, too. I just think this kind of user interface is better.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Sublime Text Editor 3

Last edited by nesrocks on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Punch

Post by Punch »

I used Notepad++ religiously but nowadays I only use VS Code with that one 6502 syntax plugin and some custom configs.

It's not perfect but it's not giving me any annoyance in writing code unlike Notepad++ which I always fought with... I don't really recommend it but I use it myself because I haven't found perfection yet.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Notepad++
gauauu wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:05 pm It really depends on what I'm working on, but for 6502 assembly, I prefer gVim. I was forced to learn vi for a job back in 2001, and once you've internalized how to use it, it's hard to appreciate anything else.
I was forced to use vi(m) in my current job and while I got used to a subset of it's feature, I still prefer Notepad++.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Notepad++ here. Also DroidEdit when coding on my phone, but it's far from perfect.
NOOPr

Post by NOOPr »

I'm using VSCode with this extension for ca65.
What bothers me is that it don't have labels/symbols references, but it's ok.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I still mostly use Notepad++ with a syntax file for ca65. Not sure who made this originally, but I've been using it for years. Actually I'll attach the definition in case anybody else needs it.

In Notepad++ go to Language > Define your language... > Import...

I've also tried VS Code but so far I've found it very annoying to set up to build a project. Like all I want it to do is run a batch file when I press F5 or something (e.g. like Notepad++ Run menu), but apparently doing just that involves setting up plugins and schemas and bla bla bla... It's also constantly advertising other plugins and stuff at me, which is irritating.

Otherwise VS Code seems to be a nice code editor and has some good ability to refactor stuff in a code-aware way that Notepad++ can't, which I like. I just wish it was easier to just run a simple build script with it.
Attachments
notepadpp_6502_language.zip
Notepad++ 6502 syntax definition
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
kuja killer

Post by kuja killer »

I always watched whenever puresabe would stream programming live on twitch, for his SNES megaman 7 hack, and he always used a program called "sakura editor". And that tempted me to want to use what he uses.

So ...me - Sakura Editor with English plugin. And a macro's file from puresabe's Rockman 4 Minus Infinity meant for "nesasm".
I love how colorful everything is. :)