Simple C nesdoug NES ROM won't run on Hardware (Everdrive)

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Simple C nesdoug NES ROM won't run on Hardware (Everdrive)

Post by Goose2k »

Hi,

I am working my way through the https://nesdoug.com/ tutorials in C, which have been great. Everything I am doing runs fine on FCEUX emulator.

I recently picked up an EverDrive (which turns out to be a Chinese clone if that matters) and thought it would be awesome to achieve a childhood dream, see my ROMs running on real NES hardware.

So I copied over the *.nes files to the cart, and ran them, but it just results in an empty black screen. No mapper errors or anything like that, which I have seen with some roms. I did notice that the mapper # is 0+SS which looks odd, but I'm not sure.
20200513_152858.jpg
Is there an additional step I need to take before .nes files become usable on real hardware?

Thanks!!
lidnariq

Re: Simple C nesdoug NES ROM won't run on Hardware (Everdrive)

Post by lidnariq »

FCEUX is not very strict in terms of what's permitted. Try your ROM in Mesen, Nintendulator, or Nestopia.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Runs fine in Mesen as well (the grey dots are intentional):
Untitled.png
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

I'm starting to think this may just be something up with my knock-off EverDrive. :( I found some other first gen NES games have the same 0+SS mapper, and those also don't run.

If anyone is feeling generous, and wants to sanity check if this rom run on their own real hardware, I would really appreciate it. :beer:
hello.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Everdrive clones are pretty crappy, it seems: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1779.0
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

And just to come full circle:
Is there an additional step I need to take before .nes files become usable on real hardware?
The answer is generally "no" I take it? Sorry I am new to this, and not sure what steps I might be missing.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Goose2k wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:58 pmThe answer is generally "no" I take it?
Yeah, the answer is "no". If emulators accept the NES file, so should a properly configured flash cart.
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Can you post your code? Or at least the portion that generates the .NES file header?
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

It's a faulty EverDrive, not the ROM/code, so nothing that can be really done. Thanks though!