3D graphics: Linear Algebra in neslib.h

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

marius4560

3D graphics: Linear Algebra in neslib.h

Post by marius4560 »

Hi people! Nice to meet you all!

I want to program some 3D graphics on my NES. Is there any matrix operators or linear algebra functionality in neslib? Or do you know if anyone has already made a library for this?
Could I just use a seperate 3D specific C library together with neslib as long as I only use 8-bit datatypes?

I am new to neslib. I appreciate any help on this topic.
lidnariq

Re: 3D graphics: Linear Algebra in neslib.h

Post by lidnariq »

No, there's no preexisting linear algebra there. You'll have to implement it yourself, I fear.
marius4560

Post by marius4560 »

Could I import a linear algebra library and use functions from it? Or am I restricted to the functions in neslib if I want to compile for NES?
calima

Post by calima »

You can try to use any C library. They may or may not compile with cc65. What your real problem will be is having it fast enough.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

If you you're worried about the performance of 3D code on the NES at all, you'll probably have to write everything from scratch. If you do everything "by the book", using standard formulas, you can pretty much give up on any chance of getting a decent frame rate. To get anything remotely fluid on the NES you're gonna need look-up tables, approximations, interpolations, and whatever other tricks you can think of.
marius4560

Post by marius4560 »

I am not gonna worry about performance on my first try, I just want to try to implement it. I will probably want to look into raising performance afterwards though. I have to see much time I want to commit to this :)

I see the code for Elite is published on the web, with notes and comments. I think its written in assembly though, but it will probably teach me a thing or two.
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

marius4560 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:30 am I am not gonna worry about performance on my first try, I just want to try to implement it. I will probably want to look into raising performance afterwards though. I have to see much time I want to commit to this :)

I see the code for Elite is published on the web, with notes and comments. I think its written in assembly though, but it will probably teach me a thing or two.
For as-close-as-can-be to a ready-made library, you might want to check out this very old article in C= Hacking:

http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking18.txt

You'd probably have to rewrite parts of the code to work on NES, and figure out how to make it work with your C code. All part of the fun though ;)
IIRC correctly the articles (or those in previous editions) also cover a lot of the groundwork of efficient 3d math on the 6502, such as the trick of a table-of-squares for fast multiplications.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

marius4560 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:30 am I see the code for Elite is published on the web, with notes and comments. I think its written in assembly though, but it will probably teach me a thing or two.
I've only seen the BBC Micro version published; the NES code would probably be very different. It's also PAL only as there is more time in vBlank.
marius4560

Post by marius4560 »

For as-close-as-can-be to a ready-made library, you might want to check out this very old article in C= Hacking:

http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/c=hacking18.txt

You'd probably have to rewrite parts of the code to work on NES, and figure out how to make it work with your C code. All part of the fun though ;)
IIRC correctly the articles (or those in previous editions) also cover a lot of the groundwork of efficient 3d math on the 6502, such as the trick of a table-of-squares for fast multiplications.
Oh that is perfect thanks!
marius4560

Post by marius4560 »

I've only seen the BBC Micro version published; the NES code would probably be very different. It's also PAL only as there is more time in vBlank.
Yes but its the same proccessor, figured I might learn something from it :)
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

marius4560 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:36 am Yes but its the same proccessor, figured I might learn something from it :)
I'm sure you absolutely can! Keep in mind though that retro console / computer code is very tied to the hardware it runs on; unlike modern code which is much more platform agnostic.
marius4560

Post by marius4560 »

I'm sure you absolutely can! Keep in mind though that retro console / computer code is very tied to the hardware it runs on; unlike modern code which is much more platform agnostic.
Especially the graphics chip I suspect. Do you know anything about drawing lines from point to point instead of using sprites on the NES?
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

the NES doesn't have a bitmap mode, so you have choose where you want a line, allocated tiles, plot the line in the tiles, and then put the tiles on the screen.
If a tile already exists at the position then you add the line to the existing tile.

The NES is really a bad machine to learn to do this on.