Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Eugene.S

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Eugene.S » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:53 am

Mesen have nice option to force user-specified refresh rate in fullscreen mode.
User can select it from drop-down list of refresh rates that your GPU/Dispaly support:

Nestopia had "auto" refresh rate function in fullscreen depending of region.
For NTSC, emulator try to set 60 or 120 Hz, prefer higher value, if hardware supported it.
For PAL/Dendy, emulator try to set 50 or 100 Hz, prefer higher value, if hardware supported it.
It was really nice when i had CRT, which supported 60-75-85-100-120Hz:

I guess nice idea is combine this methods.
To make an separate "requested refresh rate" options.
Two drop-down menus where user can set prefferred hardware refresh rate: one for NTSC, second for PAL/Dendy

Fortunately, lastest modern LCD displays have wide range of refresh rates native support, usually 50-144Hz
as well, as AMD FreeSync or Nvidia G-Sync technologies for automatic refresh adjustment.

mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:16 am

Interesting idea. I'll keep this in mind.

Aclectico

Post by Aclectico » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 am

I just made a post on the emulation subreddit when it comes to Mesen. I figured I'd also post it here. It is in response to some apparent user confusion when it comes to the latest Mesen forks that emerged shortly after development on the main Mesen repository ceased. I'm hoping this should help to clear things up for the user base.

I just finished a couple of DMs with mkwong98, Dwedit, and NovaSquirrel. The feedback was very helpful and it's great to see all the interest in the Mesen Emulator. There are a lot of talented and passionate people involved.

Recently, mkwong98's build has been housing the most recent changes. The NovaSquirrel fork does receive these updates from time to time. However, if users are looking for the most recent build, the consensus at this time seems to be that the mkwong98 version should really be utilized.

So, in short - For simplicity's sake, I would encourage users to utilize the mkwong98 variant.

https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases

Mkwong98, Dwedit, and NovaSquirrel - thanks again for the latest feedback. Feel free to chime in if you have any other thoughts to add.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am

It is notably hard to find mkwong98's repository using the Network feature on Github. If you start at the SourMesen repository, and look at "Network", it picks the name of the most recent person who imported changes from that repository.
mesen-active-github2.png
mesen-active-github2.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 736 times
When I looked a couple days ago, it listed the mkwong98 repository as "NovaSquirrel", now it lists it as "RokkumanX".
You need to mouseover the orange graph to even see mkwong98 anywhere at all.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!