Pitfall!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

never-obsolete

Pitfall!

Post by never-obsolete »

here is a beta of the game (ntsc). there is no sound.

i don't have a chip programmer so if someone could test it on actual hardware i would greatly appreciate it (mmc1).

controls for level editor:

up, down: move cursor around current menu
left, right: move cursor from menu to menu
sel, start: cycle through scenes
A: enter

feedback would also be appreciated.

11-09-16

new
-new titlescreen
-palette fade during screen transitions
-redesigned level editor
-timeout during gameplay (press select), does not decrease score like the hint screen
-updated physics
-fixed some animations
-added (bad) music and sfx

known issues
-split for timeout bar is messed up, DMC samples in use

02-09-17

new
-included source, assembles with asm6
-removed region check
-aligned DMC samples
-fixed bug with enemy icons in editor
-fixed player vine position being delayed a frame
-adjusted player vine positions
-fix the screen tearing with the "TIME OUT!" bar
Attachments
Pitfall!.zip
v 0.93.0 (source)
(213.12 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Pitfall!.zip
v 0.92.3
(16.41 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Last edited by never-obsolete on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

Can't test for you right now but I have to say I think it's pretty awesome, definitely up there in best of NES homebrew.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Very nice indeed! Loved the editor, with the tiny preview and all!

I just expected the vines to be a bit thicker, they are too thin, don't you think? I kinda feel that the movement could be smoother, but I really don't remember how it was in the original game.

Anyway, I'm glad you made such a good homebrew. Good work!
albailey

Post by albailey »

I like it. Its very well done. At first I thought it was busted, but thats just because I had my emulator set to PAL mode.

Have you tried it on a Power Pak?

Al
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

The best home brew I ever played, exceptional work. If there was sound would it run the DMC channel?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

This is really well programmed! And such cute retro graphics too!

I tried it on my Famicom w/ PowerPak and I didn't notice any glitches while I played.

I actually haven't played Pitfall in over 20 years, so I don't know the rules. Are you actually penalized 500 points every time you pause the game (& see the "map"?)

Good luck with the game (and any additions to the traps/enemies/graphics, hint, hint...)
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

That is awesome. Does look like the movement isn't really smooth, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the lower resolution of the 2600. Movement speed seems about right.

I ported an Activision 2600 game also, a while back, Freeway. It worked though I never got the car patterns done right.

I worked on an NES cover of the Pitfall 2 theme a long time ago, if that'd be any use to you let me know and I could remake/finish it. Though I guess that'd be kinda weird since the first one was pretty quiet. Credit, title screen or custom game music maybe.

ccovell: The original didn't have a map.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Some criticism:
The game mechanics are WAY off.
* In the original, jumping did not allow you to change direction in midair. This messes up the common technique of jumping, then immediately letting go of the Right direction to ensure that the guy stops immediately after the jump.
* It's very hard to grab the vines. This is because the vines movement is way off, the vines are supposed to move smoothly in a pattern, which takes a significant amount of time for the vines to stop and change direction. Here they change direction far too fast.

Additionally, the game is not smooth enough. The original game allowed you to move 1 horizontal doublepixel every two frames.

There's also a disassembly of Pitfall floating around, I'm sure that using it directly would be flagrant copyright infringement.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

NotTheCommonDose wrote:The best home brew I ever played, exceptional work.
Have you ever played NES Snake 2 or Solar Wars ?
Celius

Post by Celius »

Bregalad wrote:
I was just going to mention that NES Snake 2 is up there. I haven't played too much of Solar Wars. I love the sound in NES Snake 2.

But this I think is a great remake! The game handles a lot better than the original (Maybe since I'm not using a really annoying joystick). I hope you're planning to put sound in. This would be a much more enjoyable experience with music.
blargg

Post by blargg »

The only reason I offer critique is that this is a very promising-looking remake, worthy of polishing to perfection.

Movement seems jerky (20 FPS?). I'd expect that the original ran at 60 FPS, but I may be wrong. Also, my emulator reported a possible sprite DMA while the PPU was active, but maybe it's not the case. Does it work on hardware?
The game handles a lot better than the original (Maybe since I'm not using a really annoying joystick).
If this is true, doesn't that mean the challenge of the original is lost?
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

Celius wrote:
Bregalad wrote:
I was just going to mention that NES Snake 2 is up there. I haven't played too much of Solar Wars. I love the sound in NES Snake 2.

I'll see if I have time to play snake

But this I think is a great remake! The game handles a lot better than the original (Maybe since I'm not using a really annoying joystick). I hope you're planning to put sound in. This would be a much more enjoyable experience with music.[/quote]

The original never had music just sounds that could be emulated thru raw PCM
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Rule #1 to make a good game : A challenge should NEVER come out of poor controls.
Celius

Post by Celius »

blargg wrote:
The game handles a lot better than the original (Maybe since I'm not using a really annoying joystick).
I didn't think that the challenge of the original came from the crappy controls. And besides, if the game is now completely easy because the controls aren't complete crap, someone needs to rethink the challenge factor of their game. I personally enjoy Pitfall. If the only reason the game was challenging was due to the dumb joystick, I probably wouldn't play it.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Dwedit wrote: There's also a disassembly of Pitfall floating around, I'm sure that using it directly would be flagrant copyright infringement.
But the VCS code is so far removed from how it'd be done on NES, it'd be pretty much unusable and incomprehensible without knowing how the TIA chip does it's thing.