Thread Title Length

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

jargon
B&: This is not your blog

Thread Title Length

Post by jargon »

Could a javascript be added that counts down how many characters are left before the topic length is maxed out? (displaying a negative number when exceeded)

I keep having to edit back to back, over and over when updating to a more suitable thread caption, due to a lack of a truncation warning.
Cheers,
Timothy Robert Keal alias jargon

Miser's House Anthology Project
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Posts go in the post field, not the title field. :roll:

I seriously doubt anyone else has this problem.
blargg

Post by blargg »

In my browser (Safari) it limits how many charcters I can type in the subject. For those rare times I want to fit a somewhat detailed subject in that space, I just type a repeated character (like X) until the field fills up, copy it into a text editor, then compose my subject on the next line, using the X characters as a guide to what it must ultimately must fit in.
jargon
B&: This is not your blog

Post by jargon »

blargg wrote:In my browser (Safari) it limits how many charcters I can type in the subject. For those rare times I want to fit a somewhat detailed subject in that space, I just type a repeated character (like X) until the field fills up, copy it into a text editor, then compose my subject on the next line, using the X characters as a guide to what it must ultimately must fit in.
i am normally used to phpbb3 and vb3 by now,

pbpbb2 doesn't have a warning though...

i doubt Memblers and Tepples will ever upgrade the forum past 2 though, simply because they prolly have already ironed out all the security issues themselves.

phpbb3 isn't as easy to update yourself, imo.

however with phpbb2 it would be much easier to add a simple javascript into the page render that simply shows the delta between max topic length and the current amount of characters entered.
Cheers,
Timothy Robert Keal alias jargon

Miser's House Anthology Project