Flash Carts on sale!

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
MatthewCallis

Post by MatthewCallis »

cybertron wrote:Do you expect me to design, test, manufacture and sell PCBs for free? Do you know how expensive electronics are in small quantities? I basically paid a few thousand dollars out of my own pocket until some sales came in and probably just broke even.

That being said the flash cart is not for everyone, there are many other possibilities.

I am working on a SD card based cartridge now. The hardware and CPLD is basically done, I just need to write the menu software that runs on the SNES. I have been really lazy in this regard because learning 65816 again is going to be annoying.
You might want to get in contact with http://snesdev.antihero.org/?p=111 as a lot of that has been done already and could speed things up.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

*Edit* Link no longer accurate...
shags2dope50187 wrote:Isnt bunnyboy working on a snes powerpak
From this link I would say the answer is yes. Unless this is information about a different snes dev cart.
I don't believe he ever made such an announcement. There are other SNES projects out there including one with the idea of loading roms from a SD memory card.
No need to make an official announcement if you post it on the net.

edit 3

*source pic changed... it was a snes prototype labeled snes powerpak with the bunnyboy seal logo http://nespowerpak.com/snes/sdramreva.jpg CF anyone?
Last edited by NESHomebrew on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jagasian

Post by Jagasian »

WhatULive4 wrote:
shags2dope50187 wrote:Isnt bunnyboy working on a snes powerpak
From this link I would say the answer is yes. Unless this is information about a different snes dev cart.
I don't believe he ever made such an announcement. There are other SNES projects out there including one with the idea of loading roms from a SD memory card.
No need to make an official announcement if you post it on the net.

edit 3

http://nespowerpak.com/snes/sdramreva.jpg CF anyone?
Looks like the best SNES flash cart yet. I wonder if bunnyboy will go so far as to support special co-processors such as the DSP1, DSP2, DSP3, and DSP4 chips via a FPGA.
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

??? That's a PowerPak.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

How could you not notice that is just a clear NES cartridge case? You can even make out that the PCB says PowerPAK printed on it. Also I do not believe "nespowerpak.com" is related at all to Retrousb.com
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

Sure it is, it's got prototype pics and bunnyboy linked there a few times. It's also registered to him.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I didn't know that. Still the picture in question was obviously not some sort of SNES PowerPAK when it's in NES shaped cartridge with different size in general and pin count.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

MottZilla wrote:I didn't know that. Still the picture in question was obviously not some sort of SNES PowerPAK when it's in NES shaped cartridge with different size in general and pin count.
The pic has been changed :wink:

Go up one directory and look at the modified date of the SNES folder. If bunnyboy isn't ready for an announcement, I'm not going to push it.
acedo2

Post by acedo2 »

Cybertron do you have any flash carts and programmers in stock?
and do you have any ETA on the SD cart? Im very interested in one
of those!
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

THANK YOU GOOGLE IMAGE CACHE!!

Now I don't look like an idiot for posting an image of a nes powerpak. Low res, but you get the picture.
ailI

Post by ailI »

WhatULive4 wrote:THANK YOU GOOGLE IMAGE CACHE!!

Now I don't look like an idiot for posting an image of a nes powerpak. Low res, but you get the picture.
Looks like it has a FPGA and the potential to win at life. Is that perhaps a lockout defeating mechanism on the left of the board?
kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku »

If it is a FPGA, that doesn't remotely guarantee co-processor support. (Though I think working on that would be a lot more fun than PowerPak mappers.)
cybertron

Post by cybertron »

Wow he got SDRAM working, the latency is so long it would never finish reading in time.
acedo2 wrote:Cybertron do you have any flash carts and programmers in stock?
and do you have any ETA on the SD cart? Im very interested in one
of those!
Well the flash carts are sold out and I have to order some more boards. They should be here in a month.

As for the SD card one, I better step on it!
Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem »

WhatULive4 wrote:THANK YOU GOOGLE IMAGE CACHE!!

Now this is something that would certainly make my trusty 128Mbit GDSF7 and CD-ROM obsolete! I hope that SDRAM is a decent size. Also, notice that the extra pins on the sides are present, could that mean that the FPGA could be big enough for a SFX implementation? Maybe if thats PSDRAM in that shot then there might be a chance (PSDRAM=no need for refresh logic in the FPGA)
Insert witty sig. here...