Interest in a nesdev coding compo?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeroen

Interest in a nesdev coding compo?

Post by Jeroen »

Is there any interest in a coding compo for nes? (nrom)
I'm thinking of hosting one.
We'd have to establish these things:
1.) rules
2.) deadline
3.) i'm probably forgetting something

edit: chr ram now allowed

edit 2: it's on. Rules in this post.
Last edited by Jeroen on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InvalidComponent

Post by InvalidComponent »

I'd like to see some kind of a prize. Maybe everyone could chip in a little bit for a powerpak or some other cool NESdev-related thing?
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'll probably enter something, depending on how long I have.

As for rules: Compare a GBA competition.

But why no CHR RAM? Do you plan to compile the top entries into a multicart that uses a CHR ROM mapper?
Last edited by tepples on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

No chr ram because some emulators don't support it. Also i'm not sure if the powerpak does. I might allow it if the powerpak does.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Ian Bell's tank demo is NROM with CHR RAM, and it runs fine on my PowerPak. Change the mapper to 34 (BNROM) and even the most pedantic emulator should support it.
Last edited by tepples on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

If you're restricting games to NROM, then no CHR-RAM makes sense, because the cartridges don't have it. But why the restriction to NROM only?
Last edited by Dwedit on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

If powerpak allows it ok then you can use it.

edit: btw I think it might be a good idea to have a game coding compo....tech demos are fun...for 3 minutes. But I'd like to see more games.
abadidea

Post by abadidea »

Wow jeroen, you finally got me to post on the forum after 7 months of IRC'ing with #nesdev.

I'm already in one compo ... but maybe something more specific and unusual than "a game compo." A light zapper compo? A compo that is neither game nor demo, such as a utility, or an embedded language interpreter a la BASIC?

:lol: hi everybody who's never on IRC but on here.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

With utils you run into the issue of very specific uses. Wether they're usefull is very dependent on the user. Whereas a game can in theory be enjoyed by everyone. (stil to a degree taste but less.)
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I think NROM GAME is pretty specific, it says make something with only 40k to work with. Using CHR-RAM takes away 8k.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Drag

Post by Drag »

I don't see why not. :P
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I always wanted to make something for a compo, but I don't know if I would be willing to pause the development of my main project for this.

BTW, I'm not aware of any emulators that don't support CHR-RAM. It's a pretty common thing, and a shitload of NES games use it. If there actually is an emulator that doesn't support it, I bet it's not very popular.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

CHR-RAM isn't the issue, it's CHR-RAM combined with Mapper 0 (NROM). Some newer emulators may reject it, probably for the same reason they reject CNROM with more than 32k of CHR-ROM.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Are you saying that an NROM board cannot support CHR RAM simply by soldering it in place of the CHR ROM? That is, you'd have to reroute some traces for it to be writable and addressed properly, thus making it not an NROM anymore? If so, it's too bad that emulators don't support CHR RAM with NROM as a simple extension, interpreting it as an NROM-like board with routing for CHR RAM.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I see... Still, I don't know why sometimes compos are so restrictive. Is that so entries will be easier to judge (since one will not be superior to others because of hardware features)?

Even though I don't really understand, the possibility of seeing a bunch of new NROM games is kinda exciting for some reason.