Weird Controller Issue

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Weird Controller Issue

Post by NESHomebrew »

Something strange is going on with one of my consoles. After the console is "warmed up" a few minutes it quits reading controllers correctly. When you press the A button, it pushes A, Select, and Start (or maybe more, but I know for sure it presses those three). It is just the bare motherboard, but I've never had this problem before. I really don't know where to start looking with this problem.

I've tried multiple controllers, reconnecting the stock shielding, Different controller plugs, different adapters. I'm stumped.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Sometimes parts heating up causes the part to fail, I've seen it with an Xbox before. And 360 of course with the old (RROD)

Maybe cool some hardware that is used to read the controller and see if it helps, if it does, it needs replaced. If not, good luck!
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

What console is it?
tepples

Post by tepples »

If it's an NES or a Super NES, then perhaps the clock signal is going through a poor connection. Have you tried another controller? I had an SN ProPad fail like that: pushing B pushed everything.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Sorry, it is a NES. What 3Gen said reminded me of something though. I have a socketed CPU, as it used to be my copyNES console. Maybe something is up with that?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I'd remove all the chips from their sockets and clean them (The wieman for the connectors works well) and re-seat all the chips. Some sockets are iffy.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Update: Seems to be working now. I polished the pins on the CPU and now it is working perfectly!!! Thanks for the help guys.