NESICIDE V1.004 release

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

cpow
NESICIDE developer

NESICIDE V1.004 release

Post by cpow »

NESICIDE V1.004

Added search-and-replace functionality, renamed Find-in-Files to Search since it encompases more than just "find in files" now.

Added support for Vaus Arkanoid controller.

Added function-key shortcuts and menu options for emulator control (play, pause, step cpu, step ppu, reset). Makes debugging easier.

Fixed empty-path problem when creating a new project.

Added search bar hooks to Graphics Bank editor.

I did not add functionality to tell you whether or not you have an appropriate version of CC65 toolchain installed as I realized this would lead me down a quagmire of version string management of packages that are beyond my control. There really isn't an "inappropriate" version because even an old CC65 will work it just won't give you source level debug capability.
djcouchycouch

Re: NESICIDE V1.004 release

Post by djcouchycouch »

cpow wrote:I did not add functionality to tell you whether or not you have an appropriate version of CC65 toolchain installed as I realized this would lead me down a quagmire of version string management of packages that are beyond my control. There really isn't an "inappropriate" version because even an old CC65 will work it just won't give you source level debug capability.
I think that as long as the user is at least aware which version NESICIDE is using, by printing the version during the build for example, it should help.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: NESICIDE V1.004 release

Post by cpow »

shawnleblanc wrote:
cpow wrote:I did not add functionality to tell you whether or not you have an appropriate version of CC65 toolchain installed as I realized this would lead me down a quagmire of version string management of packages that are beyond my control. There really isn't an "inappropriate" version because even an old CC65 will work it just won't give you source level debug capability.
I think that as long as the user is at least aware which version NESICIDE is using, by printing the version during the build for example, it should help.
I used to force the outputting of version strings but weirdly they come out on stderr which I had defaulted to the color RED in the output. Not wanting to see RED in his build output if there wasn't any errors, someone 8) mentioned just not including the version information. If you want you can add -V to the "Additional options" fields in the linker and assembler tabs of the project properties. That will give you the version information during the build.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Vaus emulation needs to return 62-F2. And when it reaches the sides, something really bad happens. I don't know what, but it's funky. Use my ROM to test. Anything besides the value and the green box when pressed means somethings wrong.

http://3gengames.webs.com/NES/PaddleTes ... leTest.nes

Although nice to see it included! :D
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:Vaus emulation needs to return 62-F2. And when it reaches the sides, something really bad happens. I don't know what, but it's funky. Use my ROM to test. Anything besides the value and the green box when pressed means somethings wrong.

http://3gengames.webs.com/NES/PaddleTes ... leTest.nes

Although nice to see it included! :D
That info doesn't jive with the info on the wiki. Also, did you play with the Trim Pot settings (for the Vaus) in the Emulator Preferences?

EDIT: Well you're right about the edges. Cut-n-paste error on my part. Fixed (and updated at the download location). As for the range, you can play with the trim pot in the settings to adjust it.

EDIT2: Oh, and thanks for the test ROM. Would you mind if I add it to my git repository of test ROMs?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Go ahead, I'm fine with that. If it helps get emulators better, I'm all for it. I have the source if you want that too, so you can recompile the ROM, with a better font, lol. And I did mess with the settings, but they don't seem to save when I change them and click "okay," and I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when your mouse goes out from the edges, it returns some funky numbers.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:Go ahead, I'm fine with that. If it helps get emulators better, I'm all for it. I have the source if you want that too, so you can recompile the ROM, with a better font, lol. And I did mess with the settings, but they don't seem to save when I change them and click "okay," and I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when your mouse goes out from the edges, it returns some funky numbers.
That should have been fixed .... if you re-download the installer. Let me know. Sure I'll put the source in there too if you provide it.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Well, I'll just have to get a real paddle and test, but FCEUX and Nintendulator both return $62-$F2 on the paddle, I am pretty sure it's right, but I'll just have to really see when I get a real paddle and see if it returns from 52. Anyone with a paddle and a powerpak/NROM-128 dev cart up for testing this?

Also, here's the zip:

http://www.2shared.com/file/w30ixuUf/PaddleTest3.html

Just remove the NESASM3 and you'll have all the files.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:Well, I'll just have to get a real paddle and test, but FCEUX and Nintendulator both return $62-$F2 on the paddle, I am pretty sure it's right, but I'll just have to really see when I get a real paddle and see if it returns from 52. Anyone with a paddle and a powerpak/NROM-128 dev cart up for testing this?

Also, here's the zip:

http://www.2shared.com/file/w30ixuUf/PaddleTest3.html

Just remove the NESASM3 and you'll have all the files.
I just tried Nintendulator with Arkanoid Paddle and it locked my mouse -- I had to forcibly exit.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Arkanoid_controller

That's the page I was getting my paddle info from...I implemented the trim pot.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I don't think it's 100% accurate though, it even says it returns a number in an A0 range.

And then I have that same problem, only reason I don't use that emulator. You have to press like F2 to run and F3 to stop or something like that. Their paddle implementation sucks, but oh well. I don't use it.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:I don't think it's 100% accurate though, it even says it returns a number in an A0 range.

And then I have that same problem, only reason I don't use that emulator. You have to press like F2 to run and F3 to stop or something like that. Their paddle implementation sucks, but oh well. I don't use it.
I don't know it made perfect sense to me...the paddle pot range is reported in $A0 steps (160 steps). At minimum trim the pot range is $0D to $AD (which is again $A0 distinct steps). At maximum trim, $5C-$FC, again, $A0 distinct steps.

There is of course the distinct possibility that the information on that page is wrong and thus both mine and other emulator's implementations are wrong.

What do you do with the paddle other than write test ROMs? Are you working on a game that uses it?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Yes, I made the program to see what emulators I can use.

http://3gengames.webs.com/NES/Kaboom/Kaboom001.nes

Have fun, heh.
Last edited by 3gengames on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

cpow wrote:What do you do with the paddle other than write test ROMs? Are you working on a game that uses it?
It'd be good for a driving game or a Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move clone.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

3gengames wrote:Yes, I made the program to see what emulators I can use.

http://3gengames.webs.com/NES/Kaboom/Kaboom001.nes

Have fun, heh.
Seems to work fairly well, I guess I'll pat myself on the back and declare Vaus emulated. :D Thanks for the challenge. If there's anything else I can do to make your NESICIDE user experience more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask. :lol: