8x16 and whatever else unreg wants to know

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Shiru wrote:If you screen is shaking in beat with the music, you probably call music update before VRAM update. It should be vice versa, because you only can update VRAM in short period of time after NMI, and calling music first you waste part or all of that time.
Thank you for helping me. :) Ah ok well, jsr FamiToneUpdate is the last thing called in my vblank file. I remember being told to make it begin in the end of vblank. Sorry that it doesn't work yet. ...going to sleep good night. : )
tepples

Post by tepples »

unregistered wrote:What is a good recording software for me to use?
The one built into the emulator, if you're playing on an emulator. The one that came with your video capture card, if you're playing on an NES.

Anyway, does jsr FamiToneUpdate happen before or after the writes to $2005 to set the scroll position?
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

jsr FamiToneUpdate happens after the writes to $2005 to set the scroll position. :)
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Why play a guess game, why not to show whole code?
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

My sister has limited me; i'm not able to share the code. It's ok... it will somehow work. :)

edit: (right click & save target as:)
You can listen to what danger streets sounds like playing inside our game on my computer.
And then listen to what danger streets sounds like playing through Shiru's demo.nes on my computer. It's much more pronounced.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

It sounds like you really want other people to play a guess game. Even I can only say: you have some problem. And acting like this you want to get a diagnosis by a photo. What so secret in your buggy code?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

unregistered wrote:My sister has limited me; i'm not able to share the code.
Where is she? 1983?
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

THE MUSIC JUST PLAYS.... no screen shaking and no trips to the left half of the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Now I need to try to find out why it sounds weird...
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Adding a call to FamiToneInit :oops: makes it not weird sounding anymore!!!!!!! :D Now to see if my song will work.
unregistered

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post by unregistered »

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it works now :D Thank you so much God for helping me! :mrgreen: :D And thank yall for helping me! :D I go tooooo sleep now.good night. :)
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

---------
I'm going to try to build one of our levels now...4 screens tall by 6 screens wide.

The most helpful pages I've found are the PPU registers wiki page and the PPU power-up state.

Is most of the code for scrolling going to be like tokumaru's code on this page? Is it a process of learning how to set the PPU registers at the right time? This sounds fun. :D

Two other questions.
1) I found this post in the forum and printed it out. But maybe there is a problem... WedNESday says, "the 15bit VRAM Address is made up of...five counters." I can only find four counters... :? A 5th one listed is FineX but that one wasn't assigned any bits so it seems like, to me, that FineX isn't a part of the 15bit VRAM Address.

2) I printed out this nice diagram too:
[color=orange][url=http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=2930#2930]here, in 2005,[/url][/color] teaguecl wrote: I re-drew the table about a year ago to use more standard characters. It displays properly using any fixed-width font. I hope this displays properly here in the forums, if not copy it into any text editor. Also I didn't check for any discrepancies between this version and the latest 2C02 doc, so be careful!

Code: Select all

+---------------+-------------------------------------------------------+ 
|2000           |       1   0                         4                 | 
|2005/1         |                       76543   210                     | 
|2005/2         | 210           76543                                   | 
|2006/1         | -54   3   2   10                                      | 
|2006/2         |                 765   43210                           | 
|NT read        |                                         76543210      | 
|AT read (4)    |                                                    10 | 
|               |+---+ +-+ +-+ +-----+ +-----+ +---+ +-+ +--------+ +--+| 
|PPU registers  || FV| |V| |H| |   VT| |   HT| | FH| |S| |     PAR| |AR|| 
|               |+---+ +-+ +-+ +-----+ +-----+ +---+ +-+ +--------+ +--+| 
|PPU counters   ||   | | | | | |     | |     |                          | 
|               |+---+ +-+ +-+ +-----+ +-----+                          | 
|2007 access    |  DC   B   A   98765   43210                           | 
|NT read (1)    |       B   A   98765   43210                           | 
|AT read (1,2,4)|       B   A   543c    210b                            | 
|PT read (3)    | 210                                 C   BA987654      | 
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
It looks very helpful... but how does it help me; i dont understand it. :( :?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

unregistered wrote:Is most of the code for scrolling going to be like tokumaru's code on this page?
That code is only for selecting which part of the name tables will be displayed on the screen, and only if you are doing it after the end of VBlank. Setting the scroll still inside of VBlank only requires one $2000 write and two $2005 writes, no tricks necessary.

A scrolling engine requires much more than setting the scroll though, the hard part is actually updating the correct parts of the name tables and attribute tables. I can assure you that programming a 4-way scrolling engine for levels taller than 2 screens will be pretty tough for a beginner.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

tokumaru wrote:
unregistered wrote:Is most of the code for scrolling going to be like tokumaru's code on this page?
That code is only for selecting which part of the name tables will be displayed on the screen, and only if you are doing it after the end of VBlank. Setting the scroll still inside of VBlank only requires one $2000 write and two $2005 writes, no tricks necessary.

A scrolling engine requires much more than setting the scroll though, the hard part is actually updating the correct parts of the name tables and attribute tables. I can assure you that programming a 4-way scrolling engine for levels taller than 2 screens will be pretty tough for a beginner.
I've never programed an engine before... I must though so I will program my scrolling engine. My sister just told me that when she created the level in her head/on paper she assumed no vertical scrolling; it would be like it is in Zelda. Horizontal scrolling is needed though. : ) Something like that would be easier to program right? I need something to read that will help me to create a scrolling engine. Thank you for your reply tokumaru. :)
Last edited by unregistered on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Any scrolling is not suitable project for a beginner, it adds another layer of complexity. Make something simpler first.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Agreed with Shiru, you can if you want, but I'd say get more experience before you try to make something that scrolls.

And yeah, and on top you won't have scrolling artifacts like SMB3, and horizontal scrolling is a lot easier than bidirectional scrolling