It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 pm 

Sendo wrote:
I'm not sure if i've got the limitations correct. I know it's supposed to be 8 x 8, but when i look at many other sprites there seems to be a lot more pixels involved. I was mainly looking at Megaman and FF1 sprites when i made this. I used the dimensions of Megaman standing sprite which were w20 x h24. Is this a reasonable approach? Would this guy work?

Yes, it works. The 8x8/8x16 limitation is the size of one HARDWARE sprite, your guy (what Shiru called "a metasprite") can be composed of multiple 8x8 hardware sprites. To cover a 24x24 pixel area at most 9 hardware sprites are needed.

Quote:
Anyway, here's what i came up with. I kind of like him. Please don't be too harsh though, it's only my first attempt!

I think it looks pretty good. :) In the future you might also want to post a scaled down version of the sprite (maybe about 10-15% of the one you posted) which resembles what players would see on the screen more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 pm 

Thanks for the compliments guys, really appreciate that :D

Yeah, the background would be transparent, so black, white and grey are my 3 colours.

I think i'm getting the way in which they can be constructed. If he's within the rules, I'll probably develop it a bit, do a little sprite sheet for him to get the feel of things, and then maybe move onto a different style of drawing, try out a few things and see what works the best.

And thanks thefox, that's a good idea. I'll post up a smaller one alongside him next time

Thanks again!

EDIT - thanks for that advice on pixels/colour too 3gengames. Yeah that makes sense. I'll probably go along this route for a bit, and then perhaps making a version with slightly heavier 2px outlines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:10 pm 

Three tips:

First, when saving pixel art to be posted to a forum, use PNG format instead of JPEG. PNG is designed for pictures with large flat areas. JPEG is designed for gradients, and it can add noise to edges of flat areas.

Second, when blowing up pixel art to be posted to a forum, resize it to an even multiple of 100%. Preferably resize it by a multiple of ten (e.g. 1000%) or four (e.g. 400%, 800%, or 1600%). You resized your graphic to 1489% or something oddball like that. For various obscure reasons related to the exact clock speed of the PPU, the most authentic resize is 800% by 700%.

Third, if you're willing to make your character just a bit smaller, you can stagger the sprite grid to fit odd shapes like the brim of the hat.

Image Image

Left: Unoptimized graphic, requiring eight sprites to cover it.
Right: Shrunk just a tad so that I can completely cover it with six sprites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 pm 

Here's a forum that specializes in pixel art critique: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php

We can help you with stuff specific to NES (like Tepples' resize suggestion), but they will help you with general pixel tech. And btw, post unresized sprites there. Their forum has a script that zooms images by 100% each click.