Recycled Music

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

The wisemen chambers in Rygar resembles the title music in Dr. Jekyll & Me. Hyde... not sure if it originally was borrowed somewhere. Confused

Edit: Defender II has that Joust music & Punch Out!! character theme. :D
Doommaster1994

Post by Doommaster1994 »

Well, I know Bart Vs. The Space Mutants, Swamp Thing, and Home Alone 2 are all composed by Mark Van Hecke and were developed by Imagineering. Bart's Escape at Camp Deadly for the Game Boy uses Space Mutants' music, so if you ever want to hear that game's music on GameBoy...
Also, Ode to Joy is used in Die Hard when the terrorists are attempting their escape.
I know a lot of Color Dreams musicians used real songs in the public domain so they wouldn't have to worry about copyright issues.
Most of the Beam Software games also used borrowed or ported music as well.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Dwedit wrote:My favorite was "Erika to Satoru no Yumebouken" (Track #24). It's straight out of Karate Kid. So here's a game using mostly expansion sound, then suddenly you press Next Track, and hear Karate Kid!
It actually wasn't used in the game proper; someone suck it in there to use as an easter egg... and what an easter egg!

http://tcrf.net/Erika_to_Satoru_no_Yume_Bouken
Doommaster1994

Post by Doommaster1994 »

Listen to the title music for Days of Thunder and track 8 of Dash Galaxy. It's basically the same song just on a different sound driver. The Days of Thunder version is extended though.
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

Wagyan Land 1 and 2, and Yo! Noid has the same engine, NOW Productions made the game engine used in these games.

Widget also has a song (Track 7) that reminds me of the building level from Yo! Noid (Tracks 8 and 9).

For more details, check out the Wiki at PinEight, Of which it is posted in ''Songs that Sound Alike in Video Games''

By the way, Hello Kitty World is a conversion of Balloon Kid for Famicom.
Doommaster1994 wrote:Well, I know Bart Vs. The Space Mutants, Swamp Thing, and Home Alone 2 are all composed by Mark Van Hecke and were developed by Imagineering.
You forgot Barbie for the NES?
Doommaster1994

Post by Doommaster1994 »

Well, Mark has composed so many NES games, so I
not gonna list all if them. I also forgot to mention these two things:
1. Both Days of Thunder and Dash Galaxy were composed by the beautiful Tania Smith.
2. The Imagineering sound driver was created by Alex DeMeo so maybe he did the sound effects. I know Frank Covitz and Scott Marshall also worked on audio there. Speaking of which, does anyone have the manual to Heavy Shreddin'?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Jaleco's two games "EDF" (arcade/SNES) and "Dogfight Spirit" (FDS) share the same song in stage 1.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Some songs in Action 52 are recycled from some songs Ed Bogas composed for The Music Studio. This is kinda stupid, everyone already knows about it, and nobody will care, but it still counts, right? :P
Ratix

Post by Ratix »

tepples wrote:
It sounds like it's based on Canon in D's sort of progression.
Don't get me started, ha. Don't get me started in here.
nes version of might and magic has that as the opening theme. very well done.

shadowgate, deja-vu, and uninvited all share the same music as well and its the same company making the games.

in megami tensei II the slot machine/poker/betting games sound almost like johnny B Goode

maniac mansion apparently has some tunes that are based off songs too.

the boys are back in town
the boys are still back -dave's cd player for example.

lotta cool stuff.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: Recycled Music

Post by Zepper »

nesrocks

Re:

Post by nesrocks »

Zepper wrote:- The MM9 credits/staff music seems to be based on Punch-Out's ending theme (SNES).
I was going to say "no way", but after listening to it it does resemble it quite much. I think it could be unintentional but not coincidental.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!