It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:42 am 

Similar to adding an AY-3-8910 synthesizer to an FME-7 cart to make a Gimmick! repro, it seems equally simple to add a dirt cheap YMF262 for expansion audio. Hardware-wise, it seems totally painless and straightforward. This could be added super easy to a mapper-0 cart for proof of concept and be a platform for test code.

Less than $4 for both the YMF262 and DAC chip, for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162781399389

What are your thoughts on this? Would it be useful? Would it sound 'wrong' to have Soundblaster style FM sound coming out of an NES? Would there be too much overhead to make this chip sound right? It just seems to me that you could basically tack on these 2 chips super easily and open the door to way more versatile audio for future hacks and homebrews. Other than no emulator support, someone please bring me to reality because I see no problems with this idea and it seems too good to be true.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 am 

OPL3 in a Famicom cassette would sound no more wrong than Lagrange Point, which includes a cut down version of OPLL, which in turn is a cut down version of OPL2. But practically, unless your game is in Japanese or Chinese or Russian or the language of some other country where famiclones are popular, you'd also need to include a jumper pack that fits in the bottom expansion port of an NES-001 Control Deck to route the audio. Paul at Infinite NES Lives had prototyped such a jumper pack, but it doesn't appear on the products page yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am 

... sniped by Tepples...

We've actually talked about that idea before, several times. I was pretty enthusiastic then, too.

I don't think an OPL3 sounds so radically different from the just-barely-not-OPLL in Lagrange Point... although to be fair, Lagrange Point's audio is extremely unique.

Adding any FM synth is not so different from the difference between the US SMS (with its sn76496 audio) vs the Mark 3 (additionally had a YM2413).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

You can just mention, "require audio jumper pack to play music in NES" (expecting the customer to provide their own audio jumper pack or Famicom)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

tepples wrote:
OPL3 in a Famicom cassette would sound no more wrong than Lagrange Point, which includes a cut down version of OPLL, which in turn is a cut down version of OPL2. But practically, unless your game is in Japanese or Chinese or Russian or the language of some other country where famiclones are popular, you'd also need to include a jumper pack that fits in the bottom expansion port of an NES-001 Control Deck to route the audio.

I doubt Chinese and Russian famiclones works with expansion audio without any modification. Many of them maps Audio In and Audio out intenrally, as well as they map CHR-RAM /CE and PPU /A13 internally, disallowing 4-screen nametables.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm 

Some do while others don't. My Micro Genius IQ-1000 works with Gimmick!. I don't have a mid-late 90s clone to test but a 2000s Power Joy doesn't, for example.