It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Best soundtrack?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah it's pretty much to the point where anytime someone makes a first post, unless it was obviously written for NESdev, you can google search the text and often find these are just copied from posts on reddit. edit: And many times the posts are copied from elsewhere in the NESdev forum. Sneaky bastards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:22 am 

nesrocks wrote:

ccovell wrote:
Many years ago (like in 1999-2000), I conducted a similar poll to the one above, and the results still match up pretty well:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/poll.html

Ok it's pathetic answering to this spambot, but since the harm was done anyway...

It's funny seeing Solstice title screen coming up multiple times among the "best NES song"... I really didn't expect it ! I like this song, and what makes it more awesome is that for the first 5 seconds or so it sound completely shitty, which makes you except a very subpar song... and then everything explodes with arpeggios all over the place and very cool sounding theme ! Tim Follin really outdid himself there.

What I'm sad however is to never see anywhere Battletoads (and to a lesser extent it's sequel Battletoads & Double Dragon) mentioned. It really has some of the best songs for the platform.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 am 

In-game, the first eight seconds or so of the Solstice OP are the jingle for "CSG Imagesoft Presents". The title screen fades in right when the arps cut in, and if this TAS is to be believed, the sequence is unskippable. I imagine players processed the two as two separate pieces of music, like the coin sound when you turn on Super Mario World or Super Mario Kart, or the simple fanfare when you turn on Rampart, or the contrast between the Capcom jingle and the rock OP to Super Street Fighter II, or the movie studio's logo and a movie's OP, or indeed the boot logo of consoles made by Sony Interactive Entertainment (CSG Imagesoft's successor) and the game's actual title screen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 pm 

I don't have a favorite overall soundtrack, but from the top of my head, there are 3 NES songs that really stand out for me:

- The title screen song from Layla;
- Wily Fortress theme from Mega Man 6;
- The bicycle training song from Punch-Out;