NTSC and PAL variations

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

DSC

NTSC and PAL variations

Post by DSC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:38 pm

After finally getting my hands on a PAL version of the NES I was surprised by a vew things. I expected the normal cic
red blink when attempting to play USA games, but what I didn't expect was the Gamepads from the NTSC versions not to work.
I was curious if anybody here might have some insight to this. I have attached pics of the main differences that are
obvious when you show the two side by side.

The PAL version seems to have protection diodes on every lead of the Gamepads. I swapped the PAL versions of the connectors out with the NTSC versions and they work as usual. Was this designed by Nintendo to eliminate the cross interoperability of the two versions of Gamepad, or is there a legitimate reason they are different?

This is the PAL connector and corresponding Gamepad.

This is the NTSC connector and corresponding Gamepad.

Last edited by DSC on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tokumaru

Re: NTSC and PAL variations

Post by tokumaru » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Minor nitpick completely unrelated to the actual topic: D-pad is the cross shaped button in the controller (I'm fairly sure that the "D" stands for "directional"). The controller as a whole would be the game pad, control pad, or something like that. Sorry if this makes me sound like a dick, but I really wanted to get that out of the way. =)

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised that the PAL connector has these diodes... Why would Nintendo want to prevent people from using controllers from other regions? Or could there be an actual electronic explanation for this, and the PAL design is an actual update to the original NTSC?

DSC

Post by DSC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Thank you tokumaru, I made the correction.

If I switch them out permanently, can I cause damage to the CPU?

uXe

Post by uXe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I have found that PAL controllers (model NES-004E) will work universally on both the PAL and NTSC NES, but the NTSC controllers (model NES-004) only work with the NTSC NES. You can make an NTSC controller 'PAL-compatible' by adding two resistors - more details here:

http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/viewtop ... =30&t=1199
http://retro.mmgn.com/NES/Forums/Nes-Co ... Conversion

DSC

Post by DSC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Thank you uXe,

This information is very helpful. I will give this a try :D